Another dissapointing review of the 7D

I keep seeing vast improvements in RAW processing by Capture One Pro. $400... but man, not only does it seem to do a better job than ACR or Lightroom, it has tons more features than Lightroom.

As for the muddy or mushy images, the trees look equally bad in the review above. At least the 7D doesn't look worse in that review. But I would still expect the 7D to blow the doors off the Rebel given the price difference - much like the 5D excels at sharpness over the 7D.

The other images appear to give a slight advantage to the 7D, especially the shots of the white bag.

I thing that's where the whole sensor out-resolving the lens problem is kicking in. The 5D will certainly be sharper, because the pixel pitch is greater. But alas, I think we all kinda knew this already.

At Derrel:

Hey, if you would like to explain to us all the reasoning for using P mode, I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear it. A forum is about learning, after all, but learning requires discussion, and challenging other's arguments. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a know-it-all or snarky, but what I really want is an answer as to why you say certain things. You said that DoF was different between the viewfinder and the final image. That seems very odd to me for the actual DoF to change between the two. So I challenge why you say so. If I don't ask, how am I to learn anything new? (The reasoning behind the DoF change still confuses me a bit, in terms of the actual physics/optics behind it. But I wonder if this f-stop equivalency is being used to describe—in rough terms every photographer can understand—something very different. I think I caught a whiff of that when you mentioned that the focusing screen can reduce contrast. That makes complete sense to me and certainly could explain why manual focusing is more prone to inaccuracy on the 7D.)

As for P mode, well, from my PoV I haven't seen the point. If I want to a set shutter speed, I'll set the camera to Tv and let the safety shift feature lower the shutter speed if it must to get a proper exposure by changing the aperture or ISO (assuming I leave it on auto ISO as well). It's an open forum, and you have some justification or reasoning for using P, so let's hear it. Perhaps we can all be enlightened.

However, I gather you've blocked my comments since I can't simply PM this. Ah well. Regardless of what you may think of me, we know who has the more open mind, yes? ;)

Last edited:
Lets put it this way. If you're actually selecting a shutter speed, or an aperture value, then you shouldn't be in P mode to begin with.

It is an idiotbox mode.
I agree it might as well have a green box on it. This whole thread has been very entertaining. :lol: The only thing I have been lacking is the :popcorn:.

I bought a Canon 7D for myself. It will be my new main camera body, and I'll keep the 1DsIII as second body

Just to throw something else into the mix this is a quote from Juza ( Juza Nature Photography ). Though we don't have the answers as to the why yet, it will be interesting to read his views and the reason for his choice.

Wooo! Sanity! :lmao:
I keep seeing vast improvements in RAW processing by Capture One Pro. $400... but man, not only does it seem to do a better job than ACR or Lightroom, it has tons more features than Lightroom.

As for the muddy or mushy images, the trees look equally bad in the review above. At least the 7D doesn't look worse in that review. But I would still expect the 7D to blow the doors off the Rebel given the price difference - much like the 5D excels at sharpness over the 7D.

The other images appear to give a slight advantage to the 7D, especially the shots of the white bag.

I thing that's where the whole sensor out-resolving the lens problem is kicking in. The 5D will certainly be sharper, because the pixel pitch is greater. But alas, I think we all kinda knew this already.

At Derrel:

Hey, if you would like to explain to us all the reasoning for using P mode, I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear it. A forum is about learning, after all, but learning requires discussion, and challenging other's arguments. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a know-it-all or snarky, but what I really want is an answer as to why you say certain things. You said that DoF was different between the viewfinder and the final image. That seems very odd to me for the actual DoF to change between the two. So I challenge why you say so. If I don't ask, how am I to learn anything new? (The reasoning behind the DoF change still confuses me a bit, in terms of the actual physics/optics behind it. But I wonder if this f-stop equivalency is being used to describe—in rough terms every photographer can understand—something very different. I think I caught a whiff of that when you mentioned that the focusing screen can reduce contrast. That makes complete sense to me and certainly could explain why manual focusing is more prone to inaccuracy on the 7D.)

As for P mode, well, from my PoV I haven't seen the point. If I want to a set shutter speed, I'll set the camera to Tv and let the safety shift feature lower the shutter speed if it must to get a proper exposure by changing the aperture or ISO (assuming I leave it on auto ISO as well). It's an open forum, and you have some justification or reasoning for using P, so let's hear it. Perhaps we can all be enlightened.

However, I gather you've blocked my comments since I can't simply PM this. Ah well. Regardless of what you may think of me, we know who has the more open mind, yes? ;)

Thank you for being humble and eloquently stating your questions, I'm sure most people here appreciate your efforts to clear the air and keep the discussion on track. I too am confused on the viewfinder DOF, so I'm off to do some research.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back