Another DIY thread from Strad........ BOUNCE CARD

I wouldn't mind having one. :) Even though I wasn't tuning in for the whole DIY link you posted (the intertubez at work is too slow).

All yers. Send me an addy via pm, and I will drop it in the mailbox for you.

ME!

And not just because I'm lazy, but I think they were pretty neat. ;)

You don't count. You're already getting one, you just didn't know it yet. (See Schwetty? Stalking on intrawebs forums by posting alone isn't playing to your fullest ability....... if you want to be a really creepy stalker, get them gifts. ;) )

OK, NOW the next person who posts that they want it gets the last one.

:shock: Oh ****, what did I get myself into?...

Awesome DYI but the way the pictures are posted makes me cringe. My comp can barely handle that page.

^great movie!

I'm going to make on of these...or some variation on it...

I thought it funny that the page mentions poor man's solution to a bounce card and he fits it on something similar to a SB 600 (?) which looks to be around $300 when a person with that much money could go buy this bounce card for around $25 or less or more....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I thought it funny that the page mentions poor man's solution to a bounce card and he fits it on something similar to a SB 600 (?) which looks to be around $300 when a person with that much money could go buy this bounce card for around $25 or less or more....

After spending $300 on an SB-600, many folks don't want to spend $25 for acessories. Most folks don't have a money tree in their back yard. I know I don't.

that being said, I might have a go at his DIY beauty dish as well.......

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:( I wanted one and you wouldn't even need to pay for shipping....just drop it off when you visit NOLA

lol

:( I wanted one and you wouldn't even need to pay for shipping....just drop it off when you visit NOLA

lol

I will have one with me when I come. If you like it, I will leave it with you.

In the mean time, here are a couple test shots.

Without the card....

DSC_7448.jpg

With the card.

DSC_7447.jpg

So I made a couple of these last night. Initially I made them too big, and had to cut them down, but even so, they seem to put a lot of light forward.

I kind of envisioned them adding a nice soft fill light, but in reality you end up getting more light from the card than from the ceiling. There's a simple reason why: the light that bounces off the ceiling has to travel farther to reach the subject than the light that bounces off the card, and the inverse square law says rears its ugly head.

As such, I don't think I'll want to use them on my flash while it's on the hotshoe, but they'll probably be pretty good for using off-camera in cases where I don't have my umbrella or other diffusers with me. I also used some of the leftover foam to make a smaller bounce card that's just the width of the flash head and extends about 3" above it. Index cards work just as well for that, but this looks nicer and might last a while.

Here are some samples, all shot with the flash in TTL mode. Look at the reflection in Santa's right hand and foot to get an idea of what the ratio of the light bouncing off the ceiling to the light bouncing off the card is.

On camera flash (SB-600), bounced off ceiling:
DSC_3293.jpg

w/ small bounce card:
DSC_3295.jpg

w/ big bounce card:
DSC_3297.jpg

w/ dome diffuser (in this small room, almost no difference between this and the small bounce card)
DSC_3298.jpg

off camera w/ big bounce card (manual flash power for this shot):
DSC_3301.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back