Another freelance job =)

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Woohoo. I got a message from this lady yesterday asking if I would take pictures of their daughters at their cheerleading games. So I said yes, and told them that I don't have alot of time since I have to be at work an hour after the game starts. They thought that was ok though. Well actually that is just one game. Another game is next week. So I'm getting $50 for each, not bad for 30 minutes of shooting and giving 'em a CD. I'm fine with it =)

Cool...I've always wondered what the best approach on getting yourself out and having people call you for things like this...Any tips?

Anyway, good luck.

Well I'm done with that and now at work. I snapped off about 120 pictures of the little cheerleaders when I could get them to look at me lol. I'm photoshoping most of 'em right now, I'll post a couple in a minute.

As for the tips, I guess I have a couple.

1. Be totally up front with what you do, tell people, the more people that hear about you the more people will ask. I got asked by a girl from my church to do this because her mom asked if she knew anyone and she had seen some of my pictures so she called me.

2. Try and get some type of job in this field in anyway. I got a job at a camera store and pro lab, and I get people that come in and I allways remind 'em if they need asistants to call me. I've gotten' one job and some more coming up from that.

3. People like cheap, and people are willing to get pro style shoots from someone that is just starting out if you don't charge 'em $500. Especially if they know you and want to help you out. My youth pastor wants me to shoot a family portrait at the beach and wants me to do it to give me more business and help with practice, and they are probally going to pay me nicely since they are very nice people.

4. I just got a couple jobs taking senior pictures of some friends at the park because they don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for a proof sheet and then choose prints for more money. Ask any seniors you know if they want pictures for cheap.

5. And last.. umm... I forgot.. Oh! And I tell everyone because I'm not totally comfortable with the outcome sometimes of my shots, that if for any reason they don't like what I give them they don't have to pay for it. They expect something not great and when they do get great they are thrilled, and it puts them at ease knowing they don't have to pay me if they get stiffed lol.

Hope all this helps.

holy crap!!! $50 for 30 minutes work!!!??!?!!? wow! that's a lot!!!!

Definitely congrats! Glad it went well. :thumbup:

You're on a bit of a roll, aren't you? :)

I've just started trying to get work from people I don't know by posting ads on Craigslist.org It's free and a very cool site for many things. (finding people, selling stuff, personals, advertising, finding jobs etc...) For being a free way to advertise, it's been awesome and has worked better than any of the paid advertising I've been doing so far.
-April

Most reactions

Back