Another FX/DX question

The OP question was FX vs DX. As someone brought up, it's not the sensor size, it's the pixel pitch. An FX camera with the same pixel pitch as a DX camera will have the same motion blur problems if other conditions are the same (including the same lens).

From a practical point of view, there are so many factors that come into play that you should really experiment and see what works for you. How steady are your hands? How good is the IS? How fast is your subject moving? How much blur are you willing to accept?

The application of the rule has as much to do with who is holding the camera as the camera itself. I shoot DX and have tremors, so I have found I have to shoot at about 1.5x focal length. From a practical standpoint, I think it is useless to compare FX and DX once you have chosen a format. If you choose the FX format, practice with that format and see what works for you. If you shoot DX, again, practice with that format and see what works for you.

Late to the party, sorry, but FWIW, the 1/focal length rule of thumb for handholding must use 1/(focal length x crop factor) for DX.

Not because of any equivalent focal length (DX only uses its own focal length), but because a DX image is 2/3 the size of full frame, and must be enlarged 1.5x more to view at the size as FX (where this rule originated). Saying, to print the same 4x6 inch or 8x10 inch print, the DX image must be enlarged 1.5x more than FX, which also magnifies any camera shake (and also Depth of Field blur).

For FX I use 1 over the focal length. For DX I use 1 over 1.5 x focal length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back