Another head shot

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. My friend has a literary web site and I offered to do some head shots that he could include in the "about the author" section. I was wondering what you thought of these 2 shots. I have several others that I took tonight, but didn't edit those yet. I think my lights were about .5 a stop too bright, but just let me know your opinion good or bad.
Lighting simply consisted of one alien bee 800 powered at about 1/4 and about 4-5 feet away. ISO 200, manual focus, 1/180, and f/8.

Not a very elaborate setup just sitting at my kitchen table in the dining room. I shot a few w/ a white backdrop behind him, but after we were through, I decided I kinda liked the crimson background for this.

Chrisweb.jpg

ChrisBWweb.jpg

I think the color version could use a bit of a 'pop'; the colors look (a little bit) flat. But that's minor.

Did he came up with the pose? No offense, but it's the typical 'no smiling, hand under the chin, because this is literature'-pose. ;)
I'm not a big fan of that.

pascal

I don't like how one of his sleeves is rolled up to the elbow while the other is only rolled up a few inches. I actually really like the muted color in this. Also, I don't think his expression is bad, but his hand seems to be sort of in the way. Almost as if it's covering up a bit too much of his chin? Also, I would try to have him straighten his back next time. Slouching rarely looks good in a portrait.

I will second pascal's feeling on the, 'thinking man', pose. But if the subject likes how he looks here I suppose that's what matters most.

I think it would be more appealing if he didn't have his hand under his chin. It is not a natural pose, and it is not very manly. :)

I like the wooden chair for an author photo, but something a little more relaxed would be better, imo.

Most reactions

Back