Another lens suggestion thread lol

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I have a nikon d40 with the kit lens. Last night I shot a concert and felt a little limited by the lens. I plan on shooting live concerts in low light. I also want to shoot portraits as well.

I'm a little tight on cash (400ish) and have been thinking of:
35mm
50mm
or something with a good range
I need it to be pretty fast for the concerts

sorry for the noobness of this post. Thanks in advance

Nikon Camera Lenses

Here is a link to all the Nikon lenses. I have been lookin at the 35mm f/1.8G($210), and also the Tokina AT-X 35mm f/2.8 pro dx macro($349). A little more spendy is the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX Asperical DG DF RF, which has a 94 degree angle of view(AOV) and is $519. All prices i found at Adorama.com. The Nikkor 24mm is $370, and the 28mm is $276, both are f/2.8.

I'm looking to be doin the same thing, so these are the ones ive been looking at. I also have looked at the wide zooms, but then your getting up in the $500-$2000+ range, and the lower end ones, some, didnt have very good reviews i thought for the money your spending.

I personally think i am going to go with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 or the 28mm f/2.8.

If 35mm is long enough for you then id go for the 35mm F/1.8 AF-S lens for $199. It would probably be nice to have something with a little more zoom to it for concerts though right?

Nikon 85 1.8 if you can swing it.

I guess it depends on the concert your shooting. All these i listed above are more suitable for small venues/bars/clubs. Id recommend getting a good flash, ie a SB400/600, and use your kit lens if your in a larger venue where youll have more stagelights, ect to help you.

Thanks, I have a sb600. Most of the shows I will be able to get right up near the stage (was on it last night) haha. But for bigger bands, I will probably be made to stay back unless I make some connections lol.

The nikkor 35mm 1.8 looks like a good choice. But I might need something a little wider. A guy last night was using something like a 17-200. Not 100% sure what it was. He was using a d700 I think. Ugh this lens stuff is confusing. I just want it all haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back