Lens suggestions?

Joshua907

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I ended up buying a used D300 with 4K accuations. Will be here on Tues. Now the next thing is a lens. I got offered a gig to go around and shoot kitchens for a website. I need a lens to get most, if not all the kitchen in a good shot. Ive been looking at the 10.5mm fisheye, but its a little pricey. Im also trying to get on with a local newsletter, shooting in clubs, so i need a lens that will get me up close and personal, low light, ect. Any ideas? I want to keep it under $600-700 if i can. Maybe a Sigma or Tokina?

I ended up buying a used D300 with 4K accuations. Will be here on Tues. Now the next thing is a lens. I got offered a gig to go around and shoot kitchens for a website. I need a lens to get most, if not all the kitchen in a good shot. Ive been looking at the 10.5mm fisheye, but its a little pricey. Im also trying to get on with a local newsletter, shooting in clubs, so i need a lens that will get me up close and personal, low light, ect. Any ideas? I want to keep it under $600-700 if i can. Maybe a Sigma or Tokina?
As the guy above me, I'm still a noob myself but heres my opinion(dont know much about other lenses, but the Sigma the other guy posted might work to)

I would suggest a 35mm 1.8

Amazing low light, wide, AMAZING quality, and only 200 dollars! You can step back for a nice view shot and then you can also get close up. Since kitchens vary I think you should also get a fisheye with the other money for full view shots. Fisheyes up close wont show how the kitchen is because it distorts it.

Another vote for the sigma 10-20mm... they cost about $400 used or $550 new. It's not a fisheye--it takes undistorted photos that make interiors look HUGE!

Add a sb-600 flash and you're all set.

I would not go much below 20mm due to distortion
If you're wanting to take a full kitchen in one frame, you don't want it to look too 'outlandish'. ;)

You're kind of in a tough spot, unless the kitchen is small. The 20mm 2.8 is a great lens :thumbup: but not wide enough. The 10-20 will have distortion, and the fisheye is probably too artsy. Maybe squeeze a little harder and find a used 14mm 2.8.

The Sigma 10-20 is available in 2 flavors. The f/4-5.6 is $479 from Amazon
The fixed f/3.5 is $649

I love mine. If you have good lighting, you probably won't need the more expensive lens. You should try and borrow/rent a 10-20 to see if it does the job for you.

I have the Sigma 10-20 and have shot the crap out of so much that it's stuck on 16mm. This is the lens you need to shoot architectural layouts. The 35 is way too wide and a 10 fisheye will distort way too much as this Sigma is NOT a fisheye. It does distort a bit but you can correct this in post processing.

You will need more standard lenses (Like a good 24-70 range) for detail work (i.e. kitchen sink, blah, blah, blah) but I shoot my '16'mm in all my interiors (I build television scenery for a living - news studios and talk shows and stuff) and I need this lens. You NEED this lens too!!

dp

I am not qualified to give you a suggestion but qualifications aside, I think the 10-20mm Sigma is supposed to be pretty nice. It is 649 new I believe

+1 i saw it on amazon for about 600$ i think.
Smile.gif

Take a look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75.2.8 and the Sigma 18-50 2.8 they are good lenses for the money (around $350)

Shooting Kitchens you may need wider, Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 10-20.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back