another Lightning strike for cc

Silverdreamer3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this while on a trip to Italy this summer. I used the bulb setting open for 2 seconds F4 ISO 320. It was one of my first shots and I had played with the different settings. I forgot to change the ISO though, oops. I normally only shoot horse shows so this is all new to me. Also the 70-200 lens is not the easiest lightning lens haha. It was also hand held as my tripod was left at home.
Tell me what you think, it is a different strike from what I normally see.
3b5bb721.jpg

I love this shot from the other side of the house when the storm was rolling in
DSC06876.jpg

this is the problem I had with most of the shots using this lens, also the neighbors house was in the way
DSC07263.jpg

thank you

You need to be up on the roof of the house that's in the way. :) Although that might not be the safest thing to do during a thunderstorm.

lol, I would have loved to have been on the roof as the lightning was far enough away but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me climbing up on their 3 story high steep tile roof. I stayed up til 2 something in the morning waiting for the storm to pass over and get far enough away to get the picture.

A long iso? you mean a long shutter speed? and yes I believe the trick is a small F/stop like F22 and then a 30 second shutter speed

Last edited:
A lone iso? you mean a long shutter speed? and yes I believe the trick is a small F/stop like F22 and then a 30 second shutter speed
Not necessarily. I got some decent lightning shots with an f/shot of f/3.5 and shutter speed of 3 seconds and 100 ISO. As the OP said, he shot his with a 2 second shutter speed, f/4 and 320 ISO, handheld too.

Well there is no such thing as a long ISO lol its a long shutter speed :)

and depending on lighting conditions outside and time of day and stuff, yes I agree 100% that you dont NEED a small F/stop however I was only trying to give a general example. Long shutter speed and a smaller F/stop will get the job done. I use the longest shutter I can so I dont miss! haha Its hard to miss with a 30 second shutter vs. a 2 second one

Well there is no such thing as a long ISO lol its a long shutter speed :)

and depending on lighting conditions outside and time of day and stuff, yes I agree 100% that you dont NEED a small F/stop however I was only trying to give a general example. Long shutter speed and a smaller F/stop will get the job done. I use the longest shutter I can so I dont miss! haha Its hard to miss with a 30 second shutter vs. a 2 second one
True, but if you're like me then you hit the shutter release button as soon as the 2 or 3 seconds is up :lol:

Ok thanks I will give that a try next time we have a storm.

Sorry, i did mean shutter speed but was thinking about ISO at the same time :s

It's a question of capturing the lightning. I'm finding that a small aperture, long shutter, low ISO works best. This is because the lightning acts like your flash. Leave the aperature open too far you end up with a lot of ambient light. And the brightness of lightning means you don't need much of an aperture to catch the light.

EDIT: These are all captured with 30 sec exposures. I'm going to try with F/22 next time.

It's a question of capturing the lightning. I'm finding that a small aperture, long shutter, low ISO works best. This is because the lightning acts like your flash. Leave the aperature open too far you end up with a lot of ambient light. And the brightness of lightning means you don't need much of an aperture to catch the light.

EDIT: These are all captured with 30 sec exposures. I'm going to try with F/22 next time.
Next time we have a thunderstorm (and I'm actually awake) I'm going to grab my 35mm and have a go at f/22 myself.

Next time we have a thunderstorm (and I'm actually awake) I'm going to grab my 35mm and have a go at f/22 myself.

Thinking about it further, I think it would be best to be between f/8 and f/16 so you don't have to worry about defraction. Plus many lenses are sharpest around f/8.

Most reactions

Back