Another Minolta Lens Question

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I already asked about Minolta Lens, but a situation has arrived. My aunt had a SLR Minolta several years ago and it broke. Anyway she couldn't get it repaired, but she has a wide lens and some type of telepscope lens. Will these work on my A55 Sony? Will they only work in Manual mode? I am getting them for free on my next visit, so I hope they will work. Thank you for your comments!

Was the SLR AF or MF? Was it a 'Maxxum-something'?

They should work fine if they are the AF α-mount. If they are the older, MD or MC mount, they will not fit (you should be able to get an adapter though).

My guess is they will work.

You might have to switch the AF button on your A55 body to auto so the body motor can drive the lenses AF is they don't have their own motors

Free is hard to beat ! How many lenses ?

Thank you. Haven't got a lot of detail, because my Aunt had brain surgery and she forgets so easily. She says she has a wide lens and a telescopic lens. She said the long lens is heavy and she had to use a tripod to use it. Going next month for visit and pick them up. Also found a macro Minolta on eBay. I need to research it. Thank you all for your help!

Found out the lens are from the late 80's to early 90's. Will they still work, and if I need a bracket, what type do I buy? I appreciate your advice so much!

Any lens that was used on a Minolta Maxxum series camera is compatible with the Sony DSLR/SLT cameras.
Find out what Camera Body model she had, or you will have to get the specifics from the lens labelling.

Found out the lens are from the late 80's to early 90's. Will they still work, and if I need a bracket, what type do I buy? I appreciate your advice so much!

if its a Maxxum lens then it is an A-mount and will work on any modern sony dslr/slt. if it is a rokkor lens then it will not unless you get a rokker to a-mount adaptor. but even then they really dont work that well due to just being the wrong size to properly reach infinity. Sounds like you probably have some maxxum lenses. This should be marked on the lens some where but they are black and look like this for the most part....

681_aug20ii_1.jpg

A Minolta manual focus lens would not have the gold contacts ... only AF lenses have electronic contacts.

Any news ? What lens did you end up with ?

Well not good news. Went there and she could not find them, and has no idea where they are since she has not used them in many years. Since, I am on a very tight budget at this moment, I am looking on ebay for lens. I have my cousin's wedding coming up and need a longer zoom lens for it, so I am not disturbing the ceremony. DiskoJoe, I see that you have Sigma lens, and I have seen them on ebay, what should I take into consideration with that brand lens. I have learn so much about the Minolta lens from all you. Thank you so much for your help:)

You could rent a Sony 70-200 for the wedding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back