Another music question for everyone.

Voods, we all know you're lying. :twisted:

Piano as a kid...no more piano at home, so no more playing. :(

Singing (choir, glee club, the usual ultra-geek stuff) and I really am great in the car when no one can hear me. :D

Bass - 15 yrs
Guitar (Classical and Electric) - 4 yrs
Trumpet - 20 yrs
Vocals - under extreme coersion and a few beers
Piano, Mandolin, Banjo - on and off for about 10 yrs (mostly off)
Studied Composition sporadically for about 14 yrs
Kazoo - I'm a virtuoso
Wax paper and a comb - very in demand

:)

I sang in high school choir and played (or rather, tried to) the clarient in band for a few years.

I can also be heard live at about 7:30pm each night singing "Hush little baby" and "How much is that doggy in the window" to my sons.

Piano/keyboard - 17+ years
Percussion - All my life
Vocal - exclusively for Bathroom tiles. I'm more of the tone guy rather than the words.

Listens to western/eastern classical to almost metal and almost everything.

I would like to try my hand at Classical Guitar.

electric guitar: 16 years
accoustic guitar 15 years
classical guitar: 12 years (approx 2 1/2 years classical training)
bass: 12 years
Vocal - same as danalec :lol:
piano/keyboard - enough to tune my guitar

If i could afford a lute, banjo or mandolin (heck even dulcimer) i would love shred them. Though somewhat classical trained, i find reading music extremely tedious and prefer to work by ear.

that said, i hadn't picked up my guitar for nearly a year, but started playing again when my neighbour downstairs starting learning to play.

I want to learn how to play guitar. Its heavenly and above all portable! You can't throw a Steinway & Sons in the back of your truck for the picnic. :D

Good to know there are some classical guitarists here. The only name that I know in the field is John McLaughlin (sp?). I was hooked the moment I heard him! Can anyone suggest any books? Like vonnagy said, I too work by the ear.

danalec99 said:
Good to know there are some classical guitarists here. The only name that I know in the field is John McLaughlin (sp?). I was hooked the moment I heard him! Can anyone suggest any books? Like vonnagy said, I too work by the ear.
McLaughlin is a hell of a jazz/fusion guitarist as well. Check out Mahavishnu Orchestra, his bombastic fusion quintet. As far books for the ear person, Frederick Noad put out some decent purely technique books, but you'll have to leaf through because alot of his books are purely sheet music, so make sure. Classcal is tough to learn by ear because it has a long, formal tradition and things like that tend toward being able to read (or at least enjoying reading) You could learn Spanish folk style and Flamenco (badass!) mostly technique there. Some players to look for are Andre Segovia, John Williams (not the film score composer) and Christopher Parkening (those are the biggies) I'm exhausted. :)

Excellent ....thanks NakedAnt!

danalec99 said:
I want to learn how to play guitar. Its heavenly and above all portable! You can't throw a Steinway & Sons in the back of your truck for the picnic. :D

classical guitarists:
Andre Segovia (dead)
Julian Bream (dead i think?)
John Williams
Christopher Parkening
pepe romero (classical & flamenco)
John McLaughlin (jazz & classical - mostly)

other guitarists that might interest you:
phil keaggy - accoustic guitar - beyound nature & accoustic sketches both fabulous (on mp3 download - county down, in the hall of the mountain king)

michael hedges -another amazing guitarist, pretty much pioneered the percussive accoustic playing into the mainstream. Can get more sound out strumming a guitar that most metalheads can get out a marshall amp shredding the pentatonic scale. died of cancer about 8 years ago.

Adrian Legg - accoustic amazing technical abilty, but can sound very boring. unfortately the problem with most accoustic whiz's. Still watching him play "Mrs. Crowe's Blue Waltz" will make your jaw drop. download the mp3.

Craig Chaquico - accoustic smooth jazz. Not really fan of the genre, but given his "arizona daybreak" as gift and became addicted to it after listening to it on a long road trip :lol: Former guitarist for band Starship.

Pat Matheny - jazz. very hit and miss with me. Some songs i like, some bore me to tears.

Billy McLaughlin - no relation to John i believe. Simply the best guitarist i have ever heard. I have found no one that can match him for technical abilty and melody, and pure emotion. Download anything... my favourites: Stormseeker, Hurricane Bob :shock:, and Candleman

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said:
“The way he plays, you may swear Billy McLaughlin is two of the greatest acoustic guitarists you’ve ever heard. There is only one of him, though. It just sounds like the music of four hands.”

www.billymclaughlin.com (can you tell I am a fan?)

I was given "Parkening Plays Bach" back in high school. I was hooked. He was just here in Atlanta and I had to miss it. :( It made me happy just to know he was still out there, playing, touring. I can dig it. :goodvibe:

whoa....thanks for that essay Von :D

terri said:
I was given "Parkening Plays Bach" back in high school. I was hooked. He was just here in Atlanta and I had to miss it. :( It made me happy just to know he was still out there, playing, touring. I can dig it. :goodvibe:

when i was in music school, alot other muso's had the chance to meet him after a show and said he was quite an arrogant pr*ck. :( I've heard the same about Adrian Legg. I heard that Phil Keaggy, Billy McLaughlin and Hedges (was) are amazing people to meet. Not that being arrogant takes away from the music that ya play, but its nice to know that some of the these muso's are approachable. Billy in fact teaches guitar seminars. I'd love go to one! :goodvibe:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back