What's new

Another noob wants to make some money on the side. CC please

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
10,347
Reaction score
2,174
Location
Denver, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, first of all I just want to say that I HAVE NOT charged anyone for my service. I still have 3 more baby photoshoots (free) and one wedding (2nd shooter, free). I do put the rate on my website just so the people I give my free service to would appreciate it (family and friends). I do want to start charging people for portraits (NOT WEDDING!!!). We just recently welcomed 3 triplet girls. So I really need to be making extra money on the side. How do you think my pictures are? Am I ready to do portraits? Please check out the Digital Imaging and the Portraits links. CC are welcome!

My equipment: Canon T1i, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f/1.4, vertical grip
Software : Adobe CS4, Topaz bundle

Robinson Usagani Photography
 
I didnt like the set done on 6-19 with the two kids and dad. Exposures were off, framing wasn't very nice in a bunch of them.

Keep on practicing though and start investing in good gear. Doing weddings is not only severly taxing on your knowledge, photo and people skills, but very much so on your gear. Your gear wont cut it at a wedding or any dimly light scene. That 1.4 might do ok for portraits, but not for a wedding.

I know you said not taking money for weddings, but having good gear and good basic skills is key to making money. You want to offer a variety of things to your clients.

And what about lights, strobes and such?
 
I liked your Digital Imaging section, seems like you have a good hand on PS. The portraits of triplet are nice as well.
I'm not a pro neither do I have any way to tell if you are ready or not. Anyways, you take good photos and I wish you good luck.
 
bigtwinky : Thats why I am not doing weddings because I know I am not ready nor I have the equipment. The wedding I will be doing is during the day and I will be 2nd photographer so im not too worried about that. I only want to do potraits for now so I can buy more equipment.

Thanks for the cc, I will review them. This was not really a planned photoshoot. Not an excuse though. They were just visiting and have been playing in the water LOL. Thanks again!
 
I liked your Digital Imaging section, seems like you have a good hand on PS. The portraits of triplet are nice as well.
I'm not a pro neither do I have any way to tell if you are ready or not. Anyways, you take good photos and I wish you good luck.

Thank you! I need add more stuff in there. But it is kinda hard since I am not being paid for it YET!
 
The photos are nice, but I think you need a better website :)
 
I liked a lot of the shots with the twin girls. I liked the colors and color coordination which really helps. The pictures of the other family didn't really do much for me (but I think the lack of coordination and hat with sunglasses on the dad really hurt). It looks like you are on your way to getting some great results! Good luck.
 
The photos are nice, but I think you need a better website :)

LOL.. agreed! I do it all my self. Don't have money to pay for someone to do it. If you have a cheap solution for me, let me know!
 
The photos are nice, but I think you need a better website :)

LOL.. agreed! I do it all my self. Don't have money to pay for someone to do it. If you have a cheap solution for me, let me know!

Use a WYSIWYG free editor for html. Look at website that you like and try to make it like that :) (don't copy it!)
 
i do portraits for other people in my school and i charge everyone a very reasonable price im no professional compared to others but fellow students are happy and feel that my work is worth the money. i am still afraid to charge strangers though as i still have things to learn.
 
i do portraits for other people in my school and i charge everyone a very reasonable price im no professional compared to others but fellow students are happy and feel that my work is worth the money. i am still afraid to charge strangers though as i still have things to learn.
How do you handle the signing of contracts, since you're not old enough to do that until you're at least 18 years old?
 
I took a look at your site.
I agree the site itself can use some help. In the future, some of your leads may come from the site...but not as it is now. So it is worth the time and effort you will need to put forth the make it more professional.

The next 3 baby shoots you have, you should plan them. Have an idea, put it on paper, visit the photo site before you actually shoot and then focus (pun intended) on your plan and your subjects. You will need to start building your portfolio and improve upon what you have posted now. Do not post photos that are poor. Stacking your site is not going to work if the shots scare potential customers away.

P.S.
I would take your site down temporarily until you get some better work there.

Good luck with your triplets and good luck with your photography future!
 
Thanks Pierre, I am planning to bring some smooth white fabric. I will spend more time on the web. I'm not worried about leaving it up because I don't advertise it anyway. Nobody will find my website anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom