Another of my hubby...CC por favor

Next time, try turning the camera 90 degrees to "portrait orientation" with the long side being vertical.

I took a few of him in portrait orientation as well. Why do you suggest that? Thanks :)
Better composition. There is to much space on the left side of the image.

In this image your husband is not the main subject, the background is, then the fence and it's leading line is the secondary image element, and your husband winds up being the tiertiary image element.

Portairture is about making the person the subject or main image element.

Just because a ther eis a person somewhere in an image doesn't make them the first thing the eye goes to. Particularly when the person occupies such a small fraction of the image.

Actually, the first part of an image people look at is called the "eye line" and it is 1/3 down from the top of the image, somewhere there in hubby's hat, but the hat is way off on the right side of the image so it takes a few milliseconds for a viewers eye to get there.

During that scan the eye picks up any leading lines, in this case the diagonal made by the fence, which then finally leads to your husbands hand, which then leads up the arm and eventually to his face.

Then because he is looking out of the frame, just like all people we ltend to look to see what he is looking at, which takes the viewer right out of the image.

Artists long ago figured out how the vast majority of people view an image, be it a painting or a photograph, and how to use composition to lead the viewers eye.

i really like this picture. it looks like he's looking at his field and just enjoying the pure beauty of nature. colors are great, dof is perfect imo. i love how crisp and clear he is. great picture!

I will definitely work on composition. Thanks, K.

And thanks everyone else for the positive comments :)

Most reactions

Back