another one from my trip to Seattle

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to post this one mainly for some feedback - I'm not sure how much I like it at the moment. I was trying to do the juxtaposition between old/new with the brick vs. glass windows, but there seems to be some tilt going on in the photo. It's been bugging me, but I haven't quite been able to figure out how to fix it. Thanks for any feedback :mrgreen:

Final1 by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

It's nice but I'd correct the distortion in Lightroom or Photoshop

Can you tell me what kind of distortion it is? I've been trying to figure out what distortion it is, so I can apply the right edit.

It's nice but I'd correct the distortion in Lightroom or Photoshop

Can you tell me what kind of distortion it is? I've been trying to figure out what distortion it is, so I can apply the right edit.

Sure, distortion is when straight lines appear curved. In the case of your photo, the building lines tend to curve, this is especially visible towards the bottom of the photo. To correct this you'll need to access a feature in your post processing program that deals with correcting lens distortion. Perspective distortion refers to another common form of distortion when shooting buildings or tall structures from a low vantage point. The bottom of the building will appear wider and narrow down towards the top. In many cases this is desirable, in some not so much, and this can also be corrected in post processing to a degree.. just look for a feature that corrects vertical perspective. I think your photo needs a slight tweak for both.

Love the composition, the old vrs the new - Like cap said if you can fix the distortion issue you'll really have something here I think.

WOW, this is so ANNOYING lol. I am beginning to think that the buildings aren't even aligned with one another. When I tried to fix one side the other side began getting off line, so I just settled for the best compromise. I applied some lens distortion fixes in Lightroom, which seemed to help quite a bit. Here it is now: thoughts?

Edit: HEY I just realized the edit cropped out the green thing on the top left! Haha.

Photoshop Edits-Edit by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

Last edited:
This distortion is called "keystoning". The vertical lines at the left and right edges are not parallel. It gets its name from the shape of a keystone in the top center of a masonry arch. Some editing softwares have the capability to "warp" the image so that the two sides are both vertical. This is a very common distortion and it has to do with the angle that you shot this. Everybody who doesn't use a perspective control lens gets it.

First do the keystone correction, then check for overall straightness using one of the center verticals.

Most reactions

Back