Another one of the tower

Shafty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another shot of the tower, this time from land.
I'll take any Critique you can throw at me.

Also I think it may be misaligned. If I aligned off the horizon, the tower was crooked abd if the tower was aligned the horizon would be crooked.

d49668819c66a66f6efa3b120abf8e1a

Also I think it may be misaligned. If I aligned off the horizon, the tower was crooked abd if the tower was aligned the horizon would be crooked.
There are several factors involved in this shot. The tower is near one edge, and the edges of some lenses will show some distortion near the edges. Some editing softwares have the capability to minimize the distortion.

Another factor is that the distant shore is not actually the horizon, and if it is at an angle relative to the camera, then it will naturally be seen as a sloping line.

In this case, (without access to distortion correction) I would draw an imaginary line down the center of the tower and align that with vertical.

Or, just crop off the distant shoreline altogether.

stock-photo-215621327 - Version 2.jpg

It's still not vertical, but the base is fairly level.

There are several factors involved in this shot. The tower is near one edge, and the edges of some lenses will show some distortion near the edges. Some editing softwares have the capability to minimize the distortion.

Another factor is that the distant shore is not actually the horizon, and if it is at an angle relative to the camera, then it will naturally be seen as a sloping line.

In this case, (without access to distortion correction) I would draw an imaginary line down the center of the tower and align that with vertical.

Or, just crop off the distant shoreline altogether.

View attachment 141420

It's still not vertical, but the base is fairly level.

I'm using light room, so lens corrections was turned on, actually no it wasn't for some reason, I must have missed that.

You're in close with a wide angle lens and you're tilting the lens -- so you're going to get a lot of keystoning and shape distortion. This one's tough -- I popped it into DX0 Viewpoint and was able to get this.

Joe

tower.jpg

You're in close with a wide angle lens and you're tilting the lens -- so you're going to get a lot of keystoning and shape distortion. This one's tough -- I popped it into DX0 Viewpoint and was able to get this.

Joe

View attachment 141426
That looks a lot better when ran through DXo Viewpoint.

Joe

View attachment 141426

Viewpoint is dedicated software to specifically deal with this problem. It's $79.00 but if you photograph a lot of buildings or use wide angle lenses it can be worth it. Overview | DxO.com

Joe

Joe

View attachment 141426

Viewpoint is dedicated software to specifically deal with this problem. It's $79.00 but if you photograph a lot of buildings or use wide angle lenses it can be worth it. Overview | DxO.com

Joe

I might invest at another time as it seems really really usefull.

Is there anyway of preventing the problem like in the above shot?

Is there anyway of preventing the problem like in the above shot?

Use a longer lens.
Back away from your subject.
Center your subject. (or close to it)
Avoid tilting the camera. (L-R, Up, down)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back