Another portrait attempt ( CC )

BmDubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another couple shots from my first attempt at REAL LIFE PEOPLE photos lol.. My son Landon ( 3 years old ), on a swing... I really liked this shot except for his coat collar getting on his face a bit.

This was kind of an " action shot ", as he was swinging when I took the photo

( 2nd photo of Landon with his dog Bailey isnt the best, but I still liked it... Its hard to get a 3 year old and a dog to sit still lol )

CC WELCOME

LandonSwngF.jpg

BooandBaileyF.jpg

lighting looks weird... some combination of the dappled lighting + built in flash is strange...

you should prob take a look at some of those portrait beginner faq's around here...

Something definitely looks odd. Maybe too much saturation? Slightly out of focus/ghost effect on the body and too much flash on the dog.

Try to up the shutter speed and maybe bounce the flash off a reflector. I'm not a pro so.. just my 2 cents.

Yeah our dog is super white.. And she LIT UP like crazy lol. Im still new to this.. But seeing how these turned out, really helped me to learn.. I always learn best by just jumping in and trying it, ya dig?

On a completely unrelated photography note I love your son's coat.

The first picture on the swings should have been shot from a slightly lower perspective. I think the idea behind it is solid, but as it is it looks like a nice capture the moment type snapshot, which is not a bad thing just not a highly technical portrait.

The second one has lighting issues that are really hurting it, but those have been discussed. My only real suggestion is to watch your framing. The way his feet are clipped bothers me and is just short of ruining the shot.

Keep shooting! Your son is adorable and seems to be very comfortable in front of the camera. There is no better way to learn portraits than through creating wonderful shots of your own family, imo.

Most reactions

Back