Another Pricing question!

651stp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF, so i've had the opportunity to take many pictures of my girlfriend and her best friend. Although She has a DSLR better than mine, she has recently asked me to do photo shoots for her new jewelry business. It kinda sounded to me as if she liked my work :p well anywho the pictures will not be of just the jewelry itself but it will be jewelry that is worn on them. I was wondering what someone would charge for that. I'm assuming that majority of the pictures will be for the interwebs and not for prints. Being that shes my GF's best friend i want to come up with a good price being that its business but not overcharge to the point where shes like "really?" any help would be appreciated111!!!one

Prices should be based on Cost of Doing Business! That includes cost of equipment, studio, transportation, depreciation, TAXES, LICENSES, INSURANCE, etc.....

or

$2000.00!

;)

lol 2000 it is! thanks for the quick input gipson i really appreciate it, anyone else?

Have you ever charge anybody before? If not, I would say just do it for free. She is your g/f best friend, and your g/f will make sure to give you extra brownie points.

Do you even have the necessary tax & licensing documenation to charge someone? If not, then take it in trade. Charging family/friends is a slippery slope, and charging them 'special rates' is even more so. My suggestion is either charge her exactly what you would charge anyone else, or don't charge her at all (and of the two, I would strongly recommend option 'B'). Tell her she can buy you a nice supper for every 'X' images, or treat you to a day on the links or something like that.

camera+girlfriend+girlfriends girl friend= plenty of opportunity for free photo work for trade.

Unless you have done this type of work and have the necessary lighting and equipment, studio space and expertise I would not even consider charging her. Do you have insurance and tax number?
What happens when one of your light stands falls and hits someone and they are hurt?

I dunno, but I don't think I'd be charging my girlfriend unless it was really going to be a big project that would use up so much of your time that it would cut into your paid work / day job.

You're going to charge your girlfriend?

Hey TPF, so i've had the opportunity to take many pictures of my girlfriend and her best friend. Although She has a DSLR better than mine, she has recently asked me to do photo shoots for her new jewelry business. It kinda sounded to me as if she liked my work :p well anywho the pictures will not be of just the jewelry itself but it will be jewelry that is worn on them. I was wondering what someone would charge for that. I'm assuming that majority of the pictures will be for the interwebs and not for prints. Being that shes my GF's best friend i want to come up with a good price being that its business but not overcharge to the point where shes like "really?" any help would be appreciated111!!!one

I have an friend who is a car mechanic. He has both Nikon and Canon systems with large variety of accessories to them. I'd trust him to "snap a picture" of me or friends at a party, but I wouldn't trust him to shoot a wedding or one of my studio sessions instead of me. On the same note, I rather pay him to work on my car then do it my self.

So to add to CGIPSON
Prices should be based on Cost of Doing Business! That includes cost of equipment, studio, transportation, depreciation, TAXES, LICENSES, INSURANCE, etc.....

or

$2000.00!

;)

Are you someone who has a big camera, does this for kicks or serious about photography as a source of income.

Keep in mind that the moment there's $ exchange, there are expectations. "With great power comes great responsibilities" - Superman's Uncle.

No one has mentioned the differences between retail photography pricing
• people license photos of themselves or relatives for personal use.
Licensing is usually restricted to personal use only, but few if any reproduction limits are imposed as long as the reproductions are not for a commecial purpose.

and commercial photography pricing
• a business licenses images to be used for advertising and promotion.
There is usually a creative fee that pays for the photographers time, talent, and reimbursable expenses (like renting lighting gear, backdrops, talent, location fees, etc.)
Additionally, the business pays usage licensing fees based on exclusive or non-exclusive use, the media type(s) used, number and size of impressions, geographic extent of the use, length of time of the use, and other considerations.

Additionally, people in photos used for advertising and/or promotion have to give their written consent (model release) for their likeness to be used in that manner.
Model release laws vary by state, and model release law is not as cut and dried as laws like traffic laws.
So you would need to check the specifics in your state.

What you are asking about is a commercial arrangement, and not a retail arrangement.

To that end I recommend you visit American Society of Media Photographers and on the left side of their home page, click on Business Resources and read all that they have to offer.

Other resources in book form that I highly recommend:

A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
Profitable Photography in Digital Age: Strategies for Success
The ASMP Guide to New Markets in Photography
Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you know that most of the jewelry/ accessory ads you see in your magazines are composites? Both the jewelry and model are shot separate and then added in post. With that being said, keep in kind when you're photographing the model with the intent of showcasing the jewelry that your poses highlight the jewelry and not the model.

Did you know that most of the jewelry/ accessory ads you see in your magazines are composites? Both the jewelry and model are shot separate and then added in post. With that being said, keep in kind when you're photographing the model with the intent of showcasing the jewelry that your poses highlight the jewelry and not the model.

Generally, you'll want ONE shot that highlights, not so much the model, as the editorial vision of the designer. It set's the theme, the mood, the scene for the collection.

On the white walled greek villa? On the yacht? In the VIP at club? who is this jewelry intended for and/or expected to appeal to.

This is your "editorial" shot.

Then you'll back fill that with a series of catalog style shots where the jewelry is styled w/ wardrobe to show how it fits w/ different outfits. these catalog style shots may or may not include faces, arms, heads... they are just to show, say, how this necklace and earrings go with a coral top, and they serve as the bridge between your editorial piece(s) and your product shots.

Finally, you'll have a series of pure product shots which are just the jewelry well lit and up close on a solid background. Usually white because it blends into a catalog page seamlessly, but other shades of gray or black (velvet) work as well.

To illustrate this concept, pick up any Victoria's Secret catalog and look for these three elements. You'll find the editorial shots on the cover, and spread throughout. You'll find the catalog style shots of clothes on models. Then you'll find the catalog style shots of clothes alone.

Most reactions

Back