Any and ALL tips welcome please!!

bremner53

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... I have always loved photography, but have really concentrated on learning it more in the last few months. I am taking a online course, which I am loving, and learning a lot.

Anyways.... a while ago I told my husband that I would love to own the 5D one day. I was watching a few on ebay, just to watch the prices even though I knew I didn't "need" it, as I haven't even used my rebel to its potential. Anyways, my husband bought a used 5D for me :)

So I have two questions. I am heading to my friends wedding in Texas on the 13th. She asked if I would take some photos as the "backup" photographer. I am pretty nervous as I have NO clue how to even work the darn camera. Any tips? I have a Canon Speedlite 430ex flash as well.

ALSO... My dad has a 69 Chevelle SS that he wants photos done of this weekend. I will be getting my camera in a few days, so I will be able to play around with it while shooting the car. However, I only have photographed people and horses. Any tips on photographing a car?

Thanks tons. I feel like I am being thrown into these two with not nearly enough knowledge. However they are family and good friends, and they know my capabilities.

With the car... just have fun. You really can't go wrong.

Assuming the car is "straight" (no patches of bondo or anything) get some pictures shooting down the side of it to show off the lines.

Make sure the wheels are pointed straight ahead, otherwise your pictures will be thrown off quite a bit.

Also think of the small details. Exhaust tips, hood lines, etc.

Check out some car forums to see examples. Here is the link to a few pictures from a forum that I am on (one of the largest).

2010 Picture of the Month Winners - LS1TECH

Keep that guy around. The 5D is a good camera, with good higher-ISO capabilities. If the wedding is indoors in poor light, do not be afraid to elevate the 5D's ISO to 500 or 640--its full-frame sensor can handle it,no problem.

If you have no clue as to how to work the darned camera, you really ought to spend the next few nights learning how to work it. Shoot some flash photos with it, indoors, and maybe outdoors. Be prepared for brighter, better light in Texas than in B.C. this time of year. If you want to be safest, shoot RAW+JPEG Medium-sized, fine compression, and set the sharpening in-camera to +2, and the contrast to Normal. On the picture style set it to Faithful. Practice shooting with the camera before the event!

Car shots...make sure the car is clean, and pay attention to reflected trees and buildings and telephone wires on the hood and windshield.

Make sure the wheels are pointed straight ahead, otherwise your pictures will be thrown off quite a bit.

I'm the opposite. I prefer a slight "tilt" on the front wheels. :lol:

Off-topic. I used to own a '66 Chevelle. I still own a '69 Firebird 400 (w/455 CID). :mrgreen:

shoot RAW+JPEG Medium-sized, fine compression, and set the sharpening in-camera to +2, and the contrast to Normal. On the picture style set it to Faithful. .

WOW. That right there shows how little I know. LOL... OH geez. My online school has covered cameras, lenses, aperature, shutter and ISO... That is it so far. But I am only 2 out of 12 modules in. So still lots to go.

Thank you so much, I will definitely be out shooting all weekend to try and figure it out!!

Is it pretty difficult to learn how to PP Raw? I haven't really looked into it, or tried it yet. I know its the best way to shoot, but I am a little nervous about it.

Do you have quality lenses because the 5D does not like cheap poor quality lenses, i am always shooting my 5D at ISO3200 great camera if you have good lenses
595659668_3UqTN-L.jpg

PS resizing it and uploading it made it under exposed and soft :lol:

I'm the opposite. I prefer a slight "tilt" on the front wheels. :lol:

Off-topic. I used to own a '66 Chevelle. I still own a '69 Firebird 400 (w/455 CID). :mrgreen:

I was trying to articulate that the wheels should be angled towards you, so you don't get a picture full of tire treads... stumbled over my words and took the easy way out though.

(2002 Camaro here. Good friend had a 68 BBC Malibu, so I'm a fan of old school too!)

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I have a 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
I am nervous about having a camera like this with not enough knowledge, but I guess it will come.

Most reactions

Back