Just to add that from the composition point of view, subjects in the middle of the photo are not necessary the best option especially when there is action. You could get more information about it, searching for rule of thirds.
I will look into that. All the above were cropped. Last time I had some comments about seeing the parking lot, parents etc. So this time I cropped out everything I thought was a distraction :mrgreen:
There is
a lot more to composition just than the rule of thirds.
At that, there are no "rules",
just guidelines that over the last couple of hundred years or so have been noticed as elements that produce visual images that are pleasant to look at.
Look at sports magazines to get an idea of what you should be aiming to produce, composition wise.
For sports, your subject should have some room in front of them in the image frame they could move into. It promotes the sense of motion and action.
I also shoot most sports action shots from a low perspective, like down on a knee or with my butt on the ground. It not only helps get distacting elements out of the image frame, it makes the players look bigger, more regal, and most importantly, more powerful.
90% of all my sports shots are made with the camera in the vertical orientation, or the shots are cropped to a vertical orientation. It removes even more distractions from the image frame.