Any cheap primes other than the 35mm and 50mm?

AXIS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been looking into getting a prime lens soon. On one hand I hear a lot of good things about the 50mm, on the other I also like the wider shot from a 35mm.
That being said, a wide prime and 50mm prime would be sweet. Are there any options under 35mm around the same price?
If I could get a 50 and a wider angle for ~$200 each I would go that route, otherwise Ill probably be going 35.

Any thoughts?

Get the 18-55 kit kens and you got the 35 and 50 covered. You can find one for under $200 and it takes pretty darn good pictures to boot.

I had the 35mm and it was a sharp lens but the only problem I had was that I was too close to the person I was shooting so I traded it for a 50mm 1.8g which in my opinion is a sharper lens with a better focal range

Get the 18-55 kit kens and you got the 35 and 50 covered. You can find one for under $200 and it takes pretty darn good pictures to boot.

That's perfectly fine but the kit lens is also extremely slow where as the primes are f/1.8. Get the primes if you want better IQ and much better low light performance.

Why not look into older D lenses? They are way cheaper than modern G lenses but still have nice glass. As long as your body has a focus screw, they work fine.

That kit lens can't compete to the primes in image quality. Not to mention the slow, variable aperture sucks.

I use the 50mm more when shooting people and babies, but the 35mm lives on my camera. I like it a lot as a walk around/go to lens.

The kit lens really doesn't compare to the primes.

On a nice day outside the kit lens is great. Let's not shoot it down totally! For the money you spend it's a good lens.

I just ordered a 50mm 1.4D and 60mm 2.8D Micro for $475 on KEH. I don't think thats a bad price for 2 primes.

I love love love my nifty fifty. I can't imagine using a 35mm for portraits of any kind because you would need to be "in your face" close. That said, I still want a 35mm Prime. Lenses are like crack... addictive.

What camera do you have?

The least expensive 35 mm and 50 mm primes are the manual focus legacy lenses.

hmmmm. the only other prime I know of would be the 85mm f/1.8

There's a 28mm prime for wider shots. I don't know the details on it.

I have 35 and 50. Both have their own uses, both are just awesome.

Why not look into older D lenses? They are way cheaper than modern G lenses but still have nice glass. As long as your body has a focus screw, they work fine.........

Nikkor's 28mm D lens is soft. VERY soft. Softer than Charmin.

I shot with the 85 1.8g and it's amazing! That's my next lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back