Any experience with the Olymus e-m5?

tsabary

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I posted here before, I'm going to leave for a very long and varied trip (South America, Europe and everything in between besides Africa for now). So after consulting with users on this forum and a relative that has been in the field for a long time I think on getting the Olymus om-d e-m5 with those two lenses:

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f/4-5.6 MEGA O.I.S.
Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6 MEGA O.I.S.

plus

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 / MEGA O.I.S.
Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 / MEGA O.I.S.

There is also this lens that goes for much more and I can't understand why??
Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 MEGA O.I.S.

So what do you think? Had any experience with those? Any problems you had with them that I should knoe before buying?

Hi tsabary - you probably haven't gotten a lot of answers because the Olympus folks are pretty much all over on the mirrorless cameras forum.

That said, I have to ask why you're buying Panasonic lenses with optical stabilization that you don't need? One of the main advantages of the OM-D E-M5 is its in-body 5 axis stabilization, which eliminates the need for lens-based image stabilization.

If budget allowed I would get the Olympus lens made for the E-M5, the dust and splashproof 12-50 for $387 (you wouldn't want any of the Panasonic lenses listed above to get wet :)). If that exceeds your budget, get the Oly 14-42 for $199.

If budget allows, add a $550 70-300mm as your telephoto. If not, go with the $199 40-150.

I'm a Panasonic micro 4/3 guy, and I love my Panasonic lenses - but if I didn't need image stabilization, I would buy Oly glass.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back