any experiences on selling prints at arts and crafts fairs

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm considering joining a local arts and crafts fair where I would sell my prints. I understand that we cannot generalize here, and that it depends on a multitude of factors, but I'm just trying to understand if selling at the fair would justify the time and money spent to do it.

Does anybody have any experiences they want to share such as how many prints they sold?

Thanks

IMHO Exhibiting at an Arts & Crafts Fair is akin to a real estate person sitting at an Open House all day. You don't really expect to sell there but you do get a lot of education in what folks think about your product and hopefully pick up a client or two or three. If you happen to sell a few prints to cover your costs that fine..

I know a few guys who make decent money doing shows, but they have put some serious time and money into it. You need to have a bunch of smaller matted stuff and then some big pieces to bring people in (like a few 24x36 metal prints), most of the sales are from the smaller matted prints. They also do shows almost every weekend from Spring til Fall, the first few shows are just to break even on the investment, then hopefully they'll sell enough in the later shows to bring in a profit. It's a lot of work and takes up a ton of time you could be out shooting instead. The people who do well are good at selling, and not necessarily good photographers- keep that in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back