Any objection to buying used flashes?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought the SB-700 around when it first came out and it was pricey, I think I paid about $400 with rechargeables at Best Buy at the time. But unfortunately, I had to sell it when I ran into some money problems but now that I am finally back on track I am ready to buy another one. But I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with saving myself a $100 or more in buying a used SB-700. They can be found in great shape on eBay for around $220.

I don't think there is a way to find out how many times the flash has be fired. The only thing I can do is judge by the book by its cover. If the shell of the flash is in nice shape with no scratches or wear, then its probably safe to say it hasn't been used much.

I know I can get the Yongnuo's for a heck of alot cheaper, but I really wanted a Nikon flash because I already have experience in using it. I really liked the SB-700, for what I do, It was perfect.

Just wanted to see your guys opinions before I make my decision.

When buying on ebay, especially something that is commonly listed, buy from someone who offers a full return/refund. That way, if you DO find an issue, you stand a good chance of returning it and getting your money back. Pay attention to who pays the return shipping.

I bought a 50mm lens for my RB67 once, where the listing stated 'no fungus'. Upon receipt, I found there truly was 'no fungus', but the lens used to have fungus as the rear of the front element was pitted with hundreds of fungus etchings. I received a return mailing label, and off it went.

Like anything else purchased used, 'you pays your money and you takes your chances'. You might get one that works perfect for years, and you might get a functional unit that was already destined to die in a month no matter who owns it.

With flashes I'd be especially cautious. I'd rather buy a good third party new, than a used nikon

I would agree with the buy a third party new over a new Nikon. I have a SB-600 that looks perfect, but the flash tube broke. Some day I will replace the tube - you would have to take the flash apart to see that work had been done on it.

I've bought a lot of stuff on eBay so I know what to look out for. I never bought a used flash, so don't know..maybe it might just be smarter to spend the extra and get a new one.

I lucked out when I got the 24-120 f/4 new on eBay for $675 I guess, haha. But with a flash, you just don't know.

As long as the guy has a good reputation, it should be fine. I realized after buying the Yongnuos that I really wanted TTL, so it wasn't right for me, but then again, the more expensive flashes are just that - more expensive.

neewere VK750 II it has I-TTL, compared to Nikons most expensive flash in reviews and usually said to do just as good.

brand new on amazon they are very affordable, i bought two of them.. something like that. i dropped mine from a good 6 or 7 feet and its sill going. has strobe flash mode, can be triggered by your cameras flash when its off camera, can be zoomed in and out, very easy to use. crazy bright if you crank it up,, easily lights up a large room if you need it too.

I've bought lots of used speedlights (Craig's List is my favorite gear store!), but only when I can inspect before actually purchasing. While eBay does offer good protection with many of its sellers, I am just too darned lazy to deal with that. Other than an actual operational test on a body, when buying a used speedlight, check the battery compartment for signs of corrosion & battery leaks, and and the flash tube fresnel for yellowing; both of those are 'walk away' signs in my book, unless the price dictates otherwise.

I bought the SB-700 around when it first came out and it was pricey, I think I paid about $400 with rechargeables at Best Buy at the time. But unfortunately, I had to sell it when I ran into some money problems but now that I am finally back on track I am ready to buy another one. But I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with saving myself a $100 or more in buying a used SB-700. They can be found in great shape on eBay for around $220.

I don't think there is a way to find out how many times the flash has be fired. The only thing I can do is judge by the book by its cover. If the shell of the flash is in nice shape with no scratches or wear, then its probably safe to say it hasn't been used much.

I know I can get the Yongnuo's for a heck of alot cheaper, but I really wanted a Nikon flash because I already have experience in using it. I really liked the SB-700, for what I do, It was perfect.

Just wanted to see your guys opinions before I make my decision.

I'd never buy a used flash, and if I were to buy used it would have to be like 1/3rd the price and still a YN or other reputable off-brand thing
to make it so cheap that I'd hard to pass up. Having experience with a Nikon flash means you know how to work any flash, that's a non-issue,
they're all virtually the same.

You can get two YN568II's with high speed sync or almost a 568II and two manual 560s for $200+.
Mine (468II and 568II are working great and even if they drop dead now, I'll buy the same thing again, they're that good, especially the 568II).

I bought a refurbished SB-700 a few years ago. It looked like new and is still my main flash.
I also bought 2 used SB-800s from a TPF member a few years ago after a Nikon shop check. They're still flashing strong too.

The older model flash you get the more likely you'll get one that is near the end if the lifespan of the flashtube. Sometimes you can get one that was barely used. But I don't think there's anything that can tell you how many discharges it's been through, and then there's probably a life span difference from a 1/1 vs 1/128 discharge.

But look for the refurbished units. It's a little more peace of mind but they cost a bit more.
here's a SB-700 kit I quickly searched for ==> Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash - Factory Refurbished with Batteries/Charger + Flash Reflector + Cleaning Kit

There's a guy locally who kills one or two flashes per year shooting the same events that I do.
I still have all of mine alive. He never turns his off.

I can understand buying "brand name" stuff few years back, but with so many options at $100 today..

I recently bought a Heiland Potato Masher flash to go with my new (to me) Rolleiflex and it works great. Ya never know. Both are maybe 60 years old.

I'd skip ebay and try the craigslist route first. That way you can inspect and test everything and the seller is inclined to let it go at a cheaper price because they aren't paying fees. I recently bought a mint condition SB-700 for $200 on CL.

I'd skip ebay and try the craigslist route first. That way you can inspect and test everything and the seller is inclined to let it go at a cheaper price because they aren't paying fees. I recently bought a mint condition SB-700 for $200 on CL.

I don't like Craigslist. Haha

Here locally PPS has a used SB-600 with box and accessories for $75, and a used SB-800 for $125. I buy much of my gear from this place. I think they are a fine shop, and their used gear inspector is a really savvy fellow. Pro Photo Supply | Stories Start Here

Most reactions

Back