Any reason to switch from Canon to Nikon at this point?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hesitate to make this post because I know brand-wars and fan boy threads are annoying. So even if you are a die-hard Canon or Nikon user, I'm just looking for some balanced and thoughtful input here.

I'm going to be upgrading my 6D here in a month or so, and I was planning on the 5D Mark IV. I mainly shoot portraiture and landscape/travel (I'm getting heavy into landscape right now). I figure that once I invest in a $3,500 body, it would definitely be cost prohibitive to switch at that point, so I'm researching the "possible switch" right now. (I should add that I would like to have a backup body for overseas trips just in case, so I would be keeping the 6D).

The Canon lenses/accessories I own:
1) 16-35 f/4L
2) 24-70 2.8L (mark 1)
3) 70-200 2.8L IS II
4) 50mm 1.4
5) 85mm 1.8
6) 580 EXII Speedlite
7) Singh-Ray 77mm polarizer, 3-stop and 10-stop 77mm graduated filters

It seems like I read detailed reviews from places like DPReview and they will often say things like "in regards to exposure latitude... the 5D Mark IV is not at the level of the current industry leader the Nikon D810". This is obviously just one remark, but it seems like lately I read a lot of things saying that a certain Canon product isn't up to par with it's Nikon equivalent. I've also been buying books and subscribing to things like Improve Photography Plus, and it seems like a majority of the pro landscape photographers I am learning from use Nikon.

Am I overthinking all of this?

Replacing those lenses with their Nikon counterparts, and throwing in a D750 would probably set you back between 8 and 10K. Add another grand for a D610-backup (used), and it will be quite expensive to replace your canon. Why do you feel like you need an upgrade? If you have a budget of under 5 Grand, getting the 5DmkIV is probably the best bet. You will have an adequate backup in the 6D, and you will have all that wonderful glass to use with your 5DmkIV. Doing landscapes you will probably have to add at least another 500+ dollars for a good tripod. I don't think you will be able to notice the difference between a 5D and D810 shot hanging in gallery.

Doing landscapes you will probably have to add at least another 500+ dollars for a good tripod.

I've got a RRS Series 2 tripod and ballhead, so I'm set in that department.

I guess I really only feel the need to upgrade because I want to make sure I have the best possible equipment, and it seems like Canon might be lagging in the sensor department (not sure about lenses). I know the old maxim "it's not the gear, it's your knowledge", but I've spent a decent amount of money on books, video tutorials, etc, I spend several hours a day reading and learning about it... so I am investing in the knowledge side of things. I just want the best gear to match.

Getting the 'best' gear is a never ending story, and very expensive. I made a big jump from my Canon XSi, to my current Nikon D7200, I would love a D500 but I'm happy with my D7200. I was not that invested in glass as you are, and managed to sell everything except my 100mm Macro lens. Buying a Nikon and keeping the 6D as backup, would make no sense to me what so ever tbh.

If you want the best Nikon FF you probably will have to get the D5, I'm sure the D810 will get an 'upgrade' soon as well. Off course the 5DS or R are also alternatives, but I've not been too impressed with their ISO performances tbh.

As a Nikon fan I am always happy to make a Nikon convert but I got to tell you that while the 5D IV didn't make any reviewer fall on the ground screaming hallelujah it is still a fantastic camera.
You are just way to heavily invested in Canon to make this switch logical.
So when it comes to hardware the 5D IV is just a good camera and no reason to switch to Nikon over this issue but on the other hand if this is something YOU want then this is a whole different ball game.
As long as you have the nagging need to switch to Nikon the just get the 5D IV and enjoy it.

The 5D mk IV is looking like a great body. Have you also considered the 5Ds or the 5Dsr? I can never remember which is the one without the low pass filter. Anyway, either of those should save you a few $'s and give you great landscape and portraits (From what I have seen of them.) without having to swap out all of the glass.

If your familiar with the Canon layout / menu system it will take a while to adjust to Nikon's, & you'll have to replace all your lenses... all with no great gain to be had. I don't have much experience with either system, the little I have gives me the impression I like the Nikon ergonomics more, but the flexibility of the EOS mount more. Both seem to have better AF than my Pentax DSLRs but I wouldn't want to swap despite that.

I can only think of one advantage to switching. Camera shops are struggling to make ends meet, having people change systems goes along way to helping them survive! :)

Ok, Nikon shooter here. Does Canon lag in the sensor dept. In most cases when compared to there Nikon counterparts, yes.

If I were you would I switch? No, probably not. Do this, go out tonight and download 10 sample images from a d810 and 10 from Mark iv. Then compare them, or if possible have someone who doesn't know which camera took which compare them.

I seriously doubt anyone will say that all 10 taken with the 810 are noticeably superior.

Considering what you've already invested in Canon, I'd stick with Canon. Just my 2 cents worth

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

There is not much point in switching sides in that eternal battle Nikon vs Canon, even if I personally prefer Nikon.

I guess I really only feel the need to upgrade because I want to make sure I have the best possible equipment,
Thats actually a LOT more vague a task that you apparently think. Image quality alone is already more than just one parameter. In fact theres a ton of variables, and even more possible errors, including some which arent even clearly an error, such as field curvature with lenses, and there features of image quality which are completely subjective, such as the Bokeh.

And theres various techniques to drive image quality parameters up into the sky - like resolution with panorama series, dynamic range with HDR, color precision with a color checker, or depth of field increase with focus stacking.

And how exactly do you descide if you have two lenses which are good which one is the better one ? Thats not a trivial question to answer at all, either.

Change is good. Embrace change without fear or trepidation. If you want to switch to Nikon, that's all the reason you should need to do so.
What other people own is irrelevant unless you just want to swap data.

Change is good. Embrace change without fear or trepidation. If you want to switch to Nikon, that's all the reason you should need to do so.
What other people own is irrelevant unless you just want to swap data.
So true :)

If you want to switch because of a real or perceived lack of performance from Canon then there's an easy path for a decision.

1. Rent the Camera and lenses that would be the replacements. Take some pics with both current and prospective systems. Which is better?
2. calculate total cost of such a switch.
3. Assess whether or not the cost of the switch is equal to or greater than the perceived value of improvement.
4. Switch or don't.

It may seem a bit expensive to rent all the gear but it's still cheaper then a leap of faith.

The advantage you perceive an Nikon's now may appear to be Canon's in a year or two. Will you then drop another few grand to go back?

I was very seriously looking at Canon. I ultimately decided on Nikon because it seemed to "fit" my hands a little better. Both companies make great cameras.

I shoot Nikon, but have many friends that have Canon. We all enjoy taking pictures. You mentioned that some instructors you follow use Nikon, if you want to feel better then it might help to just follow some instructors that use Canon.

I think the 5D Mark IV is a very nice camera, for landscape I expect the extra DR over the 6D might be noticeable in cases where you want to bring up some shadows a few stops, otherwise I don't think you would see much of a difference in your real world shots over your current 6D.

The D810 might give a bit more DR, but I think you will start to see some issues with the image quality if your raising the shadows by five or six stops. You already have some graduated filters so just using those or bracketing the shot and merge in post should give excellent results in those landscape shots with the extreme dynamic range.

I would rent the 5D Mark IV and the D810, use them for a day, review the images, then rent them again and review a second time. Then I would decide based on this additional information. If you have been using a local camera store then there is a good chance they would let you try out both cameras for a reasonable time.

I hear a lot of people switching to Fuji.

Nikon sales are down as are Canon sales, the whole DSLR business is going down the drain.

For me (I am heavily invested in Nikon gear D3, D600, D500 and a lot of glass) I do not see the point to switch right now.

All the more I am tempted by the industry leading new lens 1.4/105E.

Nikon is late to deliver a new body in the D810-line which I and many others are waiting for.

The D5 & D500 are game changers in the Nikon lineup when in comes to AF, WB, ISO & color consistency over a huge range of ISO and Light Sources.

The D500 delivers usable shots at 20k ISO
The D5 delivers usable shots at 100k ISO
You can buy three D500 for one D5

I would not go for a fourth generation body (D8xx/750/610/600) today, even think about getting a second D500, because I am sick of waiting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back