Any reasonable price for color checker.

I think the OP is confusing a Colour Checker with a Colour Reference

I bought a Color Checker maybe 7-8 years ago and used it a couple of times.

I think how it works is that the included add-in software for Lightroom and other post processing programs KNOWS EXACTLY what each of the colors are supposed to look like. So when you process the picture of your color checker in Lightroom and it recognizes it as such (with your profiled camera), it will automatically adjust the color temperature of each color, not just 'simple white balance'.

In my opinion, Color Checker is best for a studio that you control the lighting and take a 'fresh' color checker picture before each shoot. As one who shoots from countless positions during events, the ever-changing white balance makes grey cards and Color Checker useless. About the only time I use a grey card these days is taking pictures of stuff I'm selling on ebay. I set WB almost exclusively in LR on a close-to-grey-card item in a photo (white shirts, table clothes, grey or beige walls, etc), touch it up then synchronize across a 'group' of pictures taken from that angle and that subject.

It should be noted, too, that the Color Checker multi-color thing must be replaced every few years. The individual color patches must fade a bit thereby <wild made up example> the 'red' at 1234 degrees Kelvin is now at 1230 degrees, making the add-in correction to 1234 produce incorrect results. I'd send you mine for free, but I can't find the add-in software CD that I think it came with. Perhaps it was downloaded when I registered it with X-rite <whenever>. At this point, I've upgraded LR 3-4 times since buying the Color Checker, so the software that came with it is not likely to work with LR 6.
NO, sell it for $70

Most reactions

New Topics

Back