Any recommendations on a ball-head for landscapes

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a solid (greater holding power) ball-type tripod head to use on my Manfrotto 3021 aluminum tripod for landscapes in windy environments. It would be supporting my D610 with 16-35 lens. I feel my current 3021 pan head that I've been using is very solid but cumbersome and I hate the 6-sided adaptor plate. Is there a ball-head that would be equally as solid?

If you want to remain with Manfrotto, look at the MH055xxx, or the MHXPRO heads. I bought a MH055 with the standard head (small rectangular plates). However, I wanted Arca-Swiss type plates. Manfrotto didn't have any of those, so I found one on eBay, and replaced the existing head.

I like the concept of the older hexagonal plates, and I still use them on a couple of Bogen heads for my view cameras. Those are, more or less, permanently attached to the cameras.

Most quality ball heads will handle your camera and lens combination without a problem. I use one made by tilt-all that is both affordable and sturdy. My cameras and lenses are quite a bit lighter than yours. If you switch to a 500mm f4 lens then you may want something sturdier like Really Right Stuff or Arca Swiss. Don't be fooled by the weight handling specs on Chinese made ball heads. They will likely handle your camera and lens just fine. Don't expect them to handle a lot more.

Most reactions

Back