Any Road/Trail/Leisure Cyclists here?

Jaca,
Dirt/Gravel/Road: Then I would go to the bicycle shop and explain what you want. If the trails you're going to ride are going to be full of rock gardens, bunny hopping terrain, fast downhill berms etc, then first I'd make sure I could ride that kind of stuff before I set out. Then I'd consider a full suspension MTB, Otherwise you may find yourself carrying both camera and your bicycle at times. The down side is that the suspension absorbs a lot of your own energy, meaning long grades are probably going to kick your butt, until you get in shape. If it's sane stuff with just dirt/gravel/road/trails, I'd consider a "Hybrid" with front suspension of 500mm, that you can lock out for road riding and a hard tail. (no rear suspension) and 29in. tires. These will handle all kinds of trails, but not the hardcore stuff mountain bikers are looking for.
Your local bike shop can better assess your needs, by asking you a slew of questions, and assessing your physical shape. I don't know how many people I've seen with good intentions, who go out and buy a $3500 carbon fiber endurance bike, then hang them in the garage after their first 10 mile ride. until they sell them years later at a fraction of the cost. Good luck, no matter how you choose.

J.

Jaca,
Dirt/Gravel/Road: Then I would go to the bicycle shop and explain what you want. If the trails you're going to ride are going to be full of rock gardens, bunny hopping terrain, fast downhill berms etc, then first I'd make sure I could ride that kind of stuff before I set out. Then I'd consider a full suspension MTB, Otherwise you may find yourself carrying both camera and your bicycle at times. The down side is that the suspension absorbs a lot of your own energy, meaning long grades are probably going to kick your butt, until you get in shape. If it's sane stuff with just dirt/gravel/road/trails, I'd consider a "Hybrid" with front suspension of 500mm, that you can lock out for road riding and a hard tail. (no rear suspension) and 29in. tires. These will handle all kinds of trails, but not the hardcore stuff mountain bikers are looking for.
Your local bike shop can better assess your needs, by asking you a slew of questions, and assessing your physical shape. I don't know how many people I've seen with good intentions, who go out and buy a $3500 carbon fiber endurance bike, then hang them in the garage after their first 10 mile ride. until they sell them years later at a fraction of the cost. Good luck, no matter how you choose.

J.

I'm laughing because just after I messaged my wife what I wanted (been researching like crazy), I read your posts. Just told her the "
I know exact features I want now.

[4/13/16, 3:02 PM] Jack Stevenson ([email protected]): Hardtail (which means only front suspension/shocks).

[4/13/16, 3:02 PM] Jack Stevenson ([email protected]): Hydraulic breaks (disc front and rear)

[4/13/16, 3:02 PM] Jack Stevenson ([email protected]): 29 inch wheels".

Oh boy. I hope it's okay to not start a new thread.

I am about to embark on a new part of this photography hobby. There are many many trails around me that I don't always enjoy hiking back from to get 2 pictures of a bird. There is so much unexplored territory that I wish to reach. Now I am mountain bike shopping. Does it ever end? Apparently NOPE!

I want something probably a little more than I need at the moment. Looking at for the most part, casual, paved or graveled roads and trails. I'm sure occasionally I will climb a hill or two and sometimes without the camera gear (think fat burning) :heartpump:.

I know have free access to this Catalina Island Conservancy and this Catalina Island Conservancy
Are you in luck. This guy has just what you need.

Jaca,

J.

I'm laughing because just after I messaged my wife what I wanted (been researching like crazy), I read your posts. Just told her the "

[4/13/16, 3:02 PM] Jack Stevenson ([email protected]): Hardtail (which means only front suspension/shocks).

[4/13/16, 3:02 PM] Jack Stevenson ([email protected]): Hydraulic breaks (disc front and rear)

Yep, that ought to do you! Test ride as many as you can, they can and do ride differently. Have the bike shop size you for the bike. Will make your endurance much better from the very start, with a properly sized bike, and you will enjoy riding more. Lastly, I'd get the hydraulic "BRAKES". Had enough "breaks" on dirt bikes and bicycles over the years.:allteeth: Just screwing with you. :allteeth: Have fun, and post us a pic or two when you get your new bike home.

J.:biggrin-93:

Most ofte
Jaca,

J.

Yep, that ought to do you! Test ride as many as you can, they can and do ride differently. Have the bike shop size you for the bike. Will make your endurance much better from the very start, with a properly sized bike, and you will enjoy riding more. Lastly, I'd get the hydraulic "BRAKES". Had enough "breaks" on dirt bikes and bicycles over the years.:allteeth: Just screwing with you. :allteeth: Have fun, and post us a pic or two when you get your new bike home.

J.:biggrin-93:

Went to JAX (no pun) and spent maybe an hour chatting it up. Got sized and two recommendations - go figure Hybrid or Hardtail :1219: I will go with hardtail and if Wifey joins I will get her the hybrid. Definitely hydraulics and an $100 upgrade of components.

As soon as I bite the bullet, I will definitely post a pic or two.

I decided on a Trek X-Caliber 9. It finally came in today. For some reason the 21.5" frame size was not in stock anywhere.

Here is a quick photo just before pulling it down for my first ride. It's a xc bike built mostly for speed but I was still surprised how fast it was. . This weekend I hope to get the rack on it so I can lug around my camera.

Sports Chalet is closing it's doors so I am waiting for best closeout deals on accessories. .
b13c0a32afa61eab8071954fb0258d83.jpg

Nice. Those are made in the Giant Bicycle factory in China. They make a lot of the brand name frames. Good quality.

I decided on a Trek X-Caliber 9. It finally came in today. For some reason the 21.5" frame size was not in stock anywhere.

Here is a quick photo just before pulling it down for my first ride. It's a xc bike built mostly for speed but I was still surprised how fast it was. . This weekend I hope to get the rack on it so I can lug around my camera.

Sports Chalet is closing it's doors so I am waiting for best closeout deals on accessories. .
b13c0a32afa61eab8071954fb0258d83.jpg
Cool :encouragement: Enjoy the new wheels and remember “Never use your face as a brake pad.”

Nice bike.
One of these days I'll upgrade my current FS Trek w/XTR .... but it costs a lot more today than it did a few years ago.

Nice bike.
One of these days I'll upgrade my current FS Trek w/XTR .... but it costs a lot more today than it did a few years ago.

I know what you mean. Last week, before my stupid bike came in I went birdographing and ran into a wait wait wait 'freakin mountain bike race'! Just teased the crapola out of me. Sooooooo many guys had carbon frames. I was drooling over all of them even though they were wayyyyy more than I need. Just amazing that many people are spending that much money - kinda like on cameras and lenses.

yeah, a shiny new D5 with f/2.8 lenses .. OR ... a new MTB

You can pick up a CF frame for very little these days.
200.00 to 600.00 for MTB frames wholesale from Alibaba and other sites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back