photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These creatures are, to me, extraordinarily elusive. I'm in the Mid-Atlantic and I hear them in the distance at night when at the cabin by the lake. Also, I've heard numerous owls at night while up on the Skyline Drive shooting the night sky. I'd now like to work on spotting one during the day and snagging a shot. Any tips for stalking one of these beauties?

Wish I could help. All I know to do is ask people in the area if they know of any nesting anywhere. Otherwise, I just never see them either.

Good luck with that. The generic "get familiar with their behavior and habitat" is all I can offer. And now I'm wondering if there is a way to attract them like how other birds are attracted to a feeder. If they hunt during the day, maybe use a hurt animal call (like used for hunting coyotes) to lure one in?
Getting an owl shot is on my wish list.

You cannot stalk an Owl. You will walk right past an owl and never know he was there in front of you. To see one in daylight you have to have heard him at night and be able to detect the area approximately where you heard him. Then go to that area before daylight and sit there all day without moving around slapping at bugs, sneezing, coughing and whatnot. You might see one in the wild in their natural habitat, but you probably won't unless you do this 7 days a week. And then the problem arises of where you see him. What kind of branches are in the way, how far off he is, all of these things. UNLESS YOU ARE KIRK. Then the owl will fly right up to you, land in the perfect area, let you pet him, play fetch with a small ball for a little while before the photo shoot. Have drinks and horderves after the photo shoot along with introductions to family and friends.

When they have their hatchlings in spring you can get quite close to photograph, if you can find them. We watch them every year at a college my wife works at.

Once I came across one in the woods 2x on a branch 6' high and only about 10 yards away. He never minded me and just followed me with his eyes.

You cannot stalk an Owl. You will walk right past an owl and never know he was there in front of you. To see one in daylight you have to have heard him at night and be able to detect the area approximately where you heard him. Then go to that area before daylight and sit there all day without moving around slapping at bugs, sneezing, coughing and whatnot. You might see one in the wild in their natural habitat, but you probably won't unless you do this 7 days a week. And then the problem arises of where you see him. What kind of branches are in the way, how far off he is, all of these things. UNLESS YOU ARE KIRK. Then the owl will fly right up to you, land in the perfect area, let you pet him, play fetch with a small ball for a little while before the photo shoot. Have drinks and horderves after the photo shoot along with introductions to family and friends.

Okay so I have a plan: Luck.

Actually, perhaps speaking to park rangers up on the skyline drive might help. My guess is if they know I'm serious about simply photographing them they might let on to their general location. These folks know all kinds of interesting tidbits. Even then I know it will be difficult but again maybe I'll get lucky.

So you already have the hardest part done. Knowing what general area to look.

Next is the type of owl you're looking for.
Get to know the calls so you can identify the species of owl. With this information you can determine hunting habits and the type of roost they like i.e. thick spruce tree to hide during the day, larger open trees to be able to hunt etc.
Some smaller owls will give you signs to their presence by leaving excrement on the tree that will look like a white wash of paint. Larger owls will leave pellets near the base of trees.

Most owls are generally football shaped. Knowing this can aid you in spotting one even if hidden in dense trees.

Sometimes other birds will give away the existence of a bird of prey. In particular if a group of Blue Jays or Chickadees are making a lot of alarm calls, it's a good indicator a predator is near. Chickadees will even dive-bomb an owl nearby.

The best way to photo them is going to involve persistence and knowledge of habitat. Get educated on the type of owls in your area, learn about their calls, hunting and roosting patterns and keep trying. You'll get there.

Good luck and hope to see your first one here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back