Any tips for using Speedlights in the shower?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ClickAddict, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got a shoot planned which would have a speedlight over the shower pointing down. The shower will be turned on and off frequently, (want some water falling for the shots as well to get some decent steam on the door. (Come to think of it I have a steamer that wold probably work better for getting the steam on the door)

My concern is the high humidity the speedlight will be getting. This is indoor so the speedlight wont be going from this to the cold, but anybody have experience shooting in these conditions? Anything I should look for and be worried about with the flash? (Camera is weather sealed and is further away from water so I'm not concerned about camera or lenses.)

Most google searches come up with bringing it back into AC room from outside humidity (tropics for instance) but I figure this is even more humid

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Put it in a clear plastic bag to protect it from spray (make sure the bag is away from the flash tube just in case it gets hot), and once you're finished with it, leave it in a warm dry place for a few hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I use my speedlight very often with sprinklers, both indoors and outdoors and in very high humidity areas. I use a plastic bag like tirediron noted, with a second hole for the flash end with a rubber band around it to hold in place. I could probably use the other Rain Sleeve, like the one on the camera, but I usually carry a few plastic bags all the time for rain protection. I will also use Gorrilla tape in some cases (it seems to hold up very well to wet conditions), but can leave a residue that I clean with isopropyl alcohol.

I was more concerned before with the Nikon flash, but with the cheap Yongnuo units I don't worry as much.

4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    possibly on a bed of rice...

5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If your flash has a white diffuser that snaps on it would help keep the water protective ziploc, etc bag from hitting the flash tube area and melting.

6. happasmith

happasmith TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where to buy a white diffuser??

7. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I had the Sto-Fen set for my SB-600 flash - that style would be great to use.