Anybody try the K5?

I would have bought a Pentax over the Nikon had I not gone with the Canon 7D. I was impressed with being able to use all of the Pentax lenses with the digital bodies. The image quality is awesome. The menus seem a bit outdated but work fine and the AF system is lacking behind the Nikon and the Canon stuff. Pentax doesn't seem to want to get with the program in the AF department. the new K30 looks awesome even to the K5. Something to consider.

good luck.

There is a strong rumor going around that the K-5 is about to get retired in lieu of a newer model of some sort. If so, I'd assume it would be a step (or 10) above the K-30. For anyone K-5 hunting, the price is down to around $900 now give or take.

I had a canon before I got my pentax k5.
The k5 autofocus system is good in good light and depending on the lenses. I can't for the life of me get good photos in anything but manual mode. The flash overexposes unless you are using manual flash. These are bad things imo, but:

Image quality when I get it right is ridiculously good. I do not regret getting this camera.

I've been using my new to me K5 and I'm very impressed with the results I'm getting. The results are what should drive the choice of a camera not the name on it. I've been buying Pentax since 1965 so when I went digital I stayed with them. My 1st was a K10D, then the K20D, and now the K5. I have a large selection of Pentax lenses dating back to the 1960's which I use on my digital bodies (incl the Canon and Nikon) and the results are excellent. I have the Canon because the earlier K10D and K20D AF could not keep up with wildlife and birds. I haven't had a chance to try the K5 on birds yet but I'm hopeful. The K5 has now been superseded by the K5 II and K5 IIs. The images from the K5 IIs, which has no AA filter, are some of the best I've ever seen from an APS-C camera. Just my ¢¢.

Most reactions

Back