Anyone actually OWN a Tokina 11-16mm?

Ub3rdoRK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.walesimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive been browsing for some time but im not sure if im convinced to get this. Ive always been skeptical on buying 3rd party lenses, but i come here to find any opinions...possibly test shots at different ƒ stops? etc?
I already own a 10.5mm fisheye from nikon, and im even wondering if its worth getting.

We have had one for almost a year now. I don't have any test shots I can show you that would give any type of performance indication. It's built like a tank, will feel like a good Nikon lens. The only complaint I have is it's a little soft wide open at f/2.8. Anything up from that its sharp. Tokina I believe has a reputation in most of their designs for being a little soft wide open. But its not so bad its unuseable. For normal shots, scenics, even interior shots its more than acceptable. But for something with lots of fine detail the softness will show wide open.

I believe the lens is worth the price! And have not regretted getting it.

well generally youre shooting 5.6+ in a landscape shot anyway....so what im concerned now about is night time...shooting at 2.8 for long exposures....any differences?

I have one and i really like it,

i think the build quality is really good,

from a performance stand of view i cant comment that much since i didnt had the time to really test it and shoot with it but from what ive seen so far its a great wide angle lens for the price. every picture ive take so far look sharp at every f/stop, its a little softer at wide open (like alot of lens). I will be using this lens at f/8.0 and above shooting landscape and structures anyways.

I have never even tried a night shot with it so can't give you any clue on that. I will not be home for another 5 weeks so I can't give it a test either.

It deppends on how critical you are. If I were to guess, I suspect it would be more than acceptable for night shots wide open. It's definately not unuseable at f/2.8. Its just if there is enough detail in the shot, you can pick out the softness. Like others have said this is the same with other lenses as well.

For most people I think they would consider this a very good lens.

That's ok thanks though. I'm really just trying to find a nice wide angle instead of my fisheye due to it's distortion.

Hate to state the obvious, and maybe youve already done it, but just Google reviews on it... Check out youtube too for reviews. 2.8 isnt necessary for night shots either ( landscape / cityscape ).. be sure to use the correct aperture to get whats desired to be in focus actually in focus. The 2.8 is probably more geared towards the concert shooter, or any other lower light action shots of course.

I've only ever heard positive things about the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I was really interested in this lens when it first came out but it was on backorder at every retailer for so long that I gave up. I'll probably get it eventually though. Seems to be in stock now.

Don't forget to check out the BHPhotovideo.com and Adorama.com user reviews, all very positive. Ken Rockwell's review gives it high marks also.

This lens is bad ass. Its great if you shooting a band in a bar/small club. You have to get REALLY close to a subject at 11mm. The perspective you can get by getting very high or low on a subject is cool. I highly recommend this lens. In low light, close quarter situations, this lens and a 30mm prime make a great combo.

for the money its the best DX wide angle.

I have had nothing but good experiences with TOKINA

I love my 11-16 f2.8- My D5000 didn't focus it of course, but in low light I'm finding I opt to manula focus it on my D7000.

EDIT: you ask "Anyone actually OWN a Tokina 11-16mm?" like its rare for us to own a budget lens or they are not common to us nOObs or such. Just sayn'....
badteeth.gif

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back