Canon 5D classic died on me

MVPernula

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello forum!

I was on a very nice hiking trip this past week.
My main system is a Sony A7ii with some native glass but also some adapted Canon lenses (Sigma MC-11). For this trip I decided to get a cheap camera, full frame, to go with the glass I already own and the 5D classic was, to me, a no-brainer since I already had a 16-35 /2.8! Perfect for landscape.

Though on the second last day (thank god it wasn't earlier), it started to misfocus and act out a bit. I decided to try reseating the lens, but as I popped the release button to screw the lens off it twists to the wrong direction. I managed to twist it that way becuase I was sitting in a weird spot and yeah.. Though it's worth mentioning that absolutely no force was added to twist it that way, it went as smoothly as if it would go the right direction. No snapping, no breaking, it just spun on the bayonett.

After that it simply wont start.
I've tried different batteries, starting with no lens on, different memory cards and so on.
Basically everything that can be reseated and removed without loosening up screws has been tested.

A bit of googling later I havent found anyone with the same problem at all.
Do you guys have any idea?

The bayonet letting you move the lens in the wrong direction sounds like something important has snapped in the cameras lens mount. It sounds like physical damage which might have impacted other parts of the camera and is thus preventing it turning on. Honestly I suspect you're into the territory that only a repairshop can fix it, though with a camera of that age it would be best to talk directly to a repair shop. They might have heard of the error or have parts to replace the bayonet mount, but you need to know the prices they are going to charge since you don't want to start spending hundreds on a camera body that might not be worth it second hand - ergo picking up another could be of equal cost.

Hello forum!

I was on a very nice hiking trip this past week.
My main system is a Sony A7ii with some native glass but also some adapted Canon lenses (Sigma MC-11). For this trip I decided to get a cheap camera, full frame, to go with the glass I already own and the 5D classic was, to me, a no-brainer since I already had a 16-35 /2.8! Perfect for landscape.

Though on the second last day (thank god it wasn't earlier), it started to misfocus and act out a bit. I decided to try reseating the lens, but as I popped the release button to screw the lens off it twists to the wrong direction. I managed to twist it that way becuase I was sitting in a weird spot and yeah.. Though it's worth mentioning that absolutely no force was added to twist it that way, it went as smoothly as if it would go the right direction. No snapping, no breaking, it just spun on the bayonett.

After that it simply wont start.
I've tried different batteries, starting with no lens on, different memory cards and so on.
Basically everything that can be reseated and removed without loosening up screws has been tested.

A bit of googling later I havent found anyone with the same problem at all.
Do you guys have any idea?

I agree with the other poster, might be time to throw it out
but hiking with a 5D .... !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back