Anyone do any concert photography?

bbking.jpg

Billing-R1-037-17.jpg

23A_0063.jpg

lots more at http://www.bluesicon.net/gallery/

WOW! Some impressive stuff here! i ESPECIALLY liked uselessdreamer1 's very 'artistic' shots. I shoot those a lot of the time, but no-one wants to believe I INTENDED for them to be so blurry... sigh!

Wow!!
These are all great (especially jealous of the nickelback ones. they were my favorite at one point).
First question... How do you guys get your cameras in the venues.
Theres a very strict 'NO PHOTOGRAPHY' at any concerts I've been to.
Except my brothers... which leads me to my next question.
Mine turned out all black pretty much. The band is completley unrecognizeable.

I shoot film and it was a huge waste to see 4 rolls thrown out (well not literally, i keep EVERYTHING).
What kind of settings are needed to avoid flash and total blurryness?

Great pics everyone.

well, my own opinion:
1) Start small, photograph local bands in small clubs
2) Give copies of the prints to the musicians
3) don't pop flashes in their faces.
4) I use 400 or faster film, no flash and fast lenses - no need for a flash
5) shoot enough, carry samples with you - you'll soon get invited to tag along
6) don't drink when working -- you're likely to lose gear or become a complete knob...
7) build relationships with musicians and club managers, big names play small clubs often.
8) don't be an arrogant tool when dealing with the musicians.... They're the star, not you.
9) blend in - I recently shaved my head, I wear quirky rock and roll clothes - I look like something they are used to seeing
10) sometimes you have to be cunning, creative, and anti-authoritarian- -- rarely, you'll have to sneak your gear in...

11) be persistant

Local stuff, yes this all seems possible.
In the city at larger venues and bigger name bands, they pat you down.
So unless I was a boy I dont think I could sneak camera gear anywhere. And even then it's a little far fetched.

I like the 4th one the best, the B&W.

In the last one, the guy on the right has a hinge growing out of his head. Not bad!

can't say i do it a lot, because there are'nt a lot of shows I can attend (i'm only 17) but these two are my faves.

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2964.jpg

Most reactions

Back