Anyone else displeased with the D7000's low light performance?

I will get into the ISO2000 range at times and have had to go into the ISO 2500 range at a wedding. That is as far as I like to go or for me they start getting to noisy. normally at night if im out shooting it's cars and they are usually static and Ive got lights setup so it's not a huge concern for me.

my daughter uses our D7000 and sigma 17-50 2.8 at basketball and volleyball games and we push it to its limits.still happy with it.its not my D3s but hey it works for her.

I'm really happy with the high ISO on my 7000, better than I expected honestly.

This was shot at 3200 with my 35mm 1.8 wide open. Not as sharp as I would like, but I'm working on that. It has noise, but I think it's definitely usable noise. Nothing that, to me, really damages the shot. As far as NR, I just played with the slider in LR4 just a little, but didn't put much more into it.

8667892059_4ea01ec637_c.jpg

It is a Nikon. Upgrades are available at Canon U.S.A., Inc. Or you could try disposablecameras.com for another upgrade option. Sorry, it is like dangling a steak in front of a lion. :)

except....this
Low Light Comparison of the Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and Nikon D800

the only thing i found a little odd, was the D800 falls apart at the 12k ISO mark.
meh, guess you cant have everything. but whos shooting that high anyway.

Were we looking at the same video? The D800 was pretty unacceptably noisy at ISO3200. Even noiser than the 5DII.

I had used this camera before but the lenses did not give me the exact quality I was looking for so I went for better apertures.

+1. I know you say you're displeased with the d7000 noise performance, but what are you comparing it to? you should at least have some concept of what is reasonable to expect. You can't expect night-into-day 1/1000" shots with no noise out of any camera. the d7000 is a generation old but it really is still a good low light performer (comparatively), and you're not going to get a whole lot more out of the newer cameras. I have both the d7000 and d600. i didn't really notice all that much difference in noise performance. fix your technique, fix your processing, get some faster/better glass, use a flash... there's a lot more significant low hanging fruit that you can address before hopping bodies and expecting miracles. I've shot entire events (people shots) at iso4000+ on a d7000 (@f3.2). If you can't make the the d7000 work for you the d600 is not going to save you.

Bang on! Get involved in camera club, take photography courses, these days everyone wants instant gratification. You have to work at it! I hardly ever have to shoot at the real high ISO's ...great response my friend!

+1. I know you say you're displeased with the d7000 noise performance, but what are you comparing it to? you should at least have some concept of what is reasonable to expect. You can't expect night-into-day 1/1000" shots with no noise out of any camera. the d7000 is a generation old but it really is still a good low light performer (comparatively), and you're not going to get a whole lot more out of the newer cameras. I have both the d7000 and d600. i didn't really notice all that much difference in noise performance. fix your technique, fix your processing, get some faster/better glass, use a flash... there's a lot more significant low hanging fruit that you can address before hopping bodies and expecting miracles. I've shot entire events (people shots) at iso4000+ on a d7000 (@f3.2). If you can't make the the d7000 work for you the d600 is not going to save you.

Actually not so. Yesterday I borrowed my coworkers D600 and shot with it all night and the low light performance was amazing,
Much better than that of my d7000. I compared shots side by side and the difference is huge at Anything over 1600 ISO. Seems like in my case the body does make a difference.
Picking one up this weekend.

Actually not so. Yesterday I borrowed my coworkers D600 and shot with it all night and the low light performance was amazing,
Much better than that of my d7000. I compared shots side by side and the difference is huge at Anything over 1600 ISO. Seems like in my case the body does make a difference.
Picking one up this weekend.

I always read here on the forum when people ask if to buy this camera or that lens, people reply in a question "Is your equipment limiting you ?"

I think for you the D7000 capable as it is really limits you so I think you are doing the right thing.

Good luck on your new camera and please do share with us how you like it.

Enjoy it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back