Next Nikon Body after D7000

From reading this, some love the 7500, others hate it. Was leaning towards a new 7500 for my daughter, partly because it is smaller and lighter than a D500, she is petite, so are her hands. Also thought she would miss the built in flash, for quick shots. So why do you 7500 haters, dislike it? Thanks

Have you looked at the D5600 for her?
As a D7200 owner, I don't care for the D5600. I REALLY miss the 2nd control dial, cuz I use both dials. But , if she does not use M mode, she may not miss the 2nd control dial. And the viewfinder info display is not as visible as the D7200.
But the D5600 is smaller and lighter, and for some, size and weight makes a difference.

She frequently uses manual mode, so would miss the 2nd dial. I was looking at the D500 originally. The more I read, videos watched, and quick trip to the store to hold both, the 7500 seems nicer than the 500 in some ways, and has the same sensors almost. With so many great online reviews of the 7500, it made me curious why some of the forum people don't like it is all.

From reading this, some love the 7500, others hate it. Was leaning towards a new 7500 for my daughter, partly because it is smaller and lighter than a D500, she is petite, so are her hands. Also thought she would miss the built in flash, for quick shots. So why do you 7500 haters, dislike it? Thanks

Have you looked at the D5600 for her?
As a D7200 owner, I don't care for the D5600. I REALLY miss the 2nd control dial, cuz I use both dials. But , if she does not use M mode, she may not miss the 2nd control dial. And the viewfinder info display is not as visible as the D7200.
But the D5600 is smaller and lighter, and for some, size and weight makes a difference.

She frequently uses manual mode, so would miss the 2nd dial. I was looking at the D500 originally. The more I read, videos watched, and quick trip to the store to hold both, the 7500 seems nicer than the 500 in some ways, and has the same sensors almost. With so many great online reviews of the 7500, it made me curious why some of the forum people don't like it is all.

Yeah, I used the school's D5600, and after years of using a 2 dial camera, I just did not like the 1 dial setup.
It is fairly easy to use, press a button then turn the dial.
I reconfigured the record button so I press [rec] + turn back dial, to adjust the ISO. So I suppose one can get used to a 1 dial setup.
But it is so much easier to just turn the dial and not deal with the button.

I don't remember what, but there were things in the D7200 that were deleted in the D7500.
You may have to do a functional/feature comparison matrix to wring out the differences.
Here are a few from a quick search of the internet, with my comments.
  • + Tilting rear screen on the D7500.
    • I do like the tilting rear screen on the D7500. I've been belly down on the floor, to get low angle shots with the D7200, and that can be really dirty out in the dirt or mud. This is the one feature that really made me think about upgrading to the D7500.
  • + Higher high ISO, 51200 (D7500) vs 25600 (D7200)
    • I shoot low light sports, so this would definitely benefit me.
    • With a higher high ISO level, there is less need to use a FAST lens when shooting in low light. You might be able to get away with the 18-140 kit lens, rather than needing a big expensive f/2.8 lens.
  • + Faster burst rate: 8fps (D7500), vs 6fps (D7200)
    • IMHO, while it is 33% faster, the additional 2 fps is not enough increase to make a practical difference, at least to me.
  • - The sensor went down from 24MP (D7200) to 20MP (D7500), same as on the D500.
    • I doubt 99.99% of the people will be able to tell the difference in resolution.
  • - No mic input jack on the D7500.
    • I don't do video, so it does not affect me.
    • If you do video, I think this is a big negative. There are situations were you want to use an external mic (usually to limit ambient noise) rather than the one built into the camera. But with no mic jack, you cannot use a external mic.
      At school we use the Canon T7i for video and not the Canon T5, because the T5 does not have a mic input jack.
  • - Only ONE SD card slot on the D7500.
    • I have only used the 2nd card slot once, so for ME it isn't a big deal to not have it.
    • If you use the 2nd card slot, this could be a big negative. Some people use the 2nd slot as backup, where the camera records each frame to both cards.

Let me throw my 2 cents into the discussion ..

a lot of Nikon shooters simply consider a d7500 as a regression .. Mostly because lower sensor resolution (20.5MP Vs 24 on D7200), one slot for SD card instead of two, lower LCD display resolution .. D7500 brought tiling display and faster serial shooting, but everything else is slightly worse (see this) ..

from things above mentioned by @ac12 let me comment this:

+ Higher high ISO, 51200 (D7500) vs 25600 (D7200) - I don't have any shots above ISO 8000, ISO 52000 is useless for me .. 97% of my all shots are ISO 100-500
+ Faster burst rate: 8fps (D7500), vs 6fps (D7200) - For avid sport and wildlife shooters could be this slight improvement but not for anybody else

benefits are tiling screen (however with lower resolution), I'd love it when shooting something from low height on tripod and iirc D7500 can display the histogram during LiveView shooting (correct me somebody if I am wrong) ..

conclusion:

as an update from d7100 or d7200 makes d7500 not a big sense .. for others it's very decent camera and certainly in top 5 in ~$1000 enthusiasts cameras ..

Most reactions

Back