Next Nikon Body after D7000

Five years ago I left behind my D7000 and got a D500... The lack of flash contributes to better weather sealing and overall I am noticing that I've had much less problems with dust than in my crop cameras before... It's helped me tremendously as most of my work is landscape, shot outside and often using narrow apertures (that show the dust more)... I am not the target market for the d500, but there have been a couple benefits that made it worth the extra money I paid way back when it first came out... I've more recently paired it with a used D800 as Derrel mentioned above and I was able to pay less than $600 for a camera that once cost $3000 plus and has a sensor that is still competitive with anything on the market... I also have quite a few lenses that are good on my DX camera, but are much better on the FX... I read the thread and I don't recall a huge difference in size or weight when I jumped from D7000 to D500... It may be a tad bigger, but the grip is much much better and way more comfortable... Same applies when comparing the D500 to my D800... I'm sure there are some differences, but I feel like its mostly overblown and not that noticeable in the field (this coming from a person who has done mostly landscape and travel photography)... I would say that if size/weight is the main concern, you may want to look at the Z6, but make sure that you check the size and weight of the lenses you plan on using as well because sometimes the Z lenses are bigger than F lenses and may negate the differences in the body... Just something to look at... As people said earlier everything has a tradeoff and its about making informed decisions and as some people said earlier it depends ALOT on what you're going to be shooting... If astrophotography is important to you, then you will want to look at the gear that works best for that... I.e. crop vs FF and lenses, etc... My suggestion would be to look at the D7200, D500 (not the D7500) or almost any FF camera on the market if you'd like to be able to keep using the lenses you currently own... I think if you get a Z6 then you're gonna want to get native lenses at some point and will definitely eat your budget... I would suggest buying one more SLR to last another 5 years or so and wait for advances in the mirrorless market to iron out any problems and to drive down the prices... Anyway, just a few thoughts and hope it helps!

I currently own and love the D7500.
It was a great step up from my old D7100.
I actually made the mistake of using similar settings and same mindset when I got the D7500 for a long time. I only recently figured it out this camera is so much more powerful and better in every way.
If you only do wildlife, please, go for the d500.
But if you do a bit of everything, like me, the D7500 is a better,smaller and cheaper option (stil 8fps!! So much more than many high end cameras just a few years back).
I also find that when I had the D7100, anything above 3200 ISO was worthless.
Now I feel I can shoot at 8000 ISO, and I wouldn't be scared to bump it up to 12800 if needed.
So I can highly recommend!
And owning the sigma 18-35 f1.8... I feel I might never take the step to Full frame xD. Incredible camera-lens combo!

I'm 100% happy with my D7200 and not going to change it .. it's considered as best DX camera in the market .. if I will be buying next camera, so the D7200 will became a secondary/backup then, I will go for nikon F-mount, DX and I will want more than 24MP for prints (say 36MP is next step) .. buying another 24MP camera when I have 24MP DX with great performance makes no sense ... and after looking on Nikon cameras, there's not such a camera (If I don't count superexpensive z7 or d850) .. only theoretical option for me would be d800 but this camera is relatively old and there are not avail these cameras used in good shape

this is how I am thinking ... so I hope that my D7200 will work loooong :D

Lot's of good info in this thread. I only have have a few additional points so I may as well chime in w/ my 2¢.
Next year D500 is being upgraded to D550 so prices will come down if you can wait.
I bought D750 refurbished because I feel it's the best bang for the buck in Nikon FF cameras. If you can swing the cost, the D780 has been compared to a Z6 in DSLR form by many.
Z6 is impressive but the lens adaptor adds weight and size to your lenses so it didn't make sense for me. Furthermore coming from a mirrorless camera to a DSLR, a DSLR viewfinder is so nice to use I prefer it to a mirrorless viewfinder. Not to mention horrible battery life of mirrorless cameras and Z lens prices.

I'm 100% happy with my D7200 and not going to change it .. it's considered as best DX camera in the market .. if I will be buying next camera, so the D7200 will became a secondary/backup then, I will go for nikon F-mount, DX and I will want more than 24MP for prints (say 36MP is next step) .. buying another 24MP camera when I have 24MP DX with great performance makes no sense ... and after looking on Nikon cameras, there's not such a camera (If I don't count superexpensive z7 or d850) .. only theoretical option for me would be d800 but this camera is relatively old and there are not avail these cameras used in good shape

Unlike the Canon 90D at 32.5MP, Nikon does not have a DX camera over 24MP.
The only Nikon options are the FX D810/850 and Z7. You might be able to find an affordable D810.

Reactions: ntz

The only Nikon options are the FX D810/850 and Z7. You might be able to find an affordable D810.
True ... but 24 MP is plenty for almost all needs.

Megapixels are, IMHO, the most overrated stat in DSLR bodies.

yeah, they are, no doubt ... I was only saying that I wanna to keep with my mainline for example because of lenses (nikon f-mount - I am using some FX lens on DX and I am planning to buy some other lens FX lens for my DX now - the highest rank in my todo list is great nikon 16-35mm f/4) .. so my current plan now is to buy ~manana used d850 .. price matters for me so this plan is forecast of years, not months

Agree, for 99+% of most peoples needs.

But for the tail of the bell curve, the people that really want/need the resolution, you can do it with the Canon 90D. Nikon does not have a 30+MP APS-C dSLR.

By tail of the bell curve, I mean something like, shooting a 500+ student class, in a single frame. I did the class shot on my 24MP D7200 by shooting half the class at a time, left side and right side, then stitching it together. Until that shot, I NEVER had a need for such resolution, and I doubt I will in the future. And BTW, the lens has to be up to the resolution task. So no cheap kit lens.

I shot a D7000 for several years. When I updated, I went with a D750 with a 24-120 f/4. and then I ended up going with a D850. Looking back on things, the D750 was a really great camera.

I shot a D7000 for several years. When I updated, I went with a D750 with a 24-120 f/4. and then I ended up going with a D850. Looking back on things, the D750 was a really great camera.

I was planning a similar path, from my D7200 to a D750.
But old age and injuries caused me to prioritize weight reduction, and I did not pull the FX trigger.

I was planning a similar path, from my D7200 to a D750.
But old age and injuries caused me to prioritize weight reduction, and I did not pull the FX trigger.

When I joined this forum few months ago I was about to follow exactly this path (d7200 -> d750), thanks to ppl here and my additional study and thinking about that I decided that upgrading d7200 -> D750 is nonsense for me .. d7200 is great camera itself, aaa-enthusiast class Vs another semi semi-pro camera, there's literally not much improvement at least for me ISO 100 (to occasionally up to 400) landscape shooter .. what matters for me however is resolution because of print size and crops .. so buying another 24MP camera is not a way to go ... my current plan is to sometimes in the future upgrade to D850 (no thanks, not planning Nikon Z mirrorless) because of awesome 45MP resolution

ad.old age and weight) I don't wanna be smart, I am not that old - just forty, but I crashed myself severely 2 years ago on the ski .. ruined my leg, I am after several surgeries, had ruined knee, broken leg, broken ankle, in the months after accident I've got +25kg weight (85kg -> 110kg) and it was and it is tough now to convince myself to wake up early in stupid hours, take my photobag, go to car and drive somewhere, there hike around the forests and hills to back home for a lunch (because you're going out at 4-5 am) .. but yeah, it saved my life, just walking and moving let me put down 10+ kg already and I feel it's improving further

Last edited:
From reading this, some love the 7500, others hate it. Was leaning towards a new 7500 for my daughter, partly because it is smaller and lighter than a D500, she is petite, so are her hands. Also thought she would miss the built in flash, for quick shots. So why do you 7500 haters, dislike it? Thanks

From reading this, some love the 7500, others hate it. Was leaning towards a new 7500 for my daughter, partly because it is smaller and lighter than a D500, she is petite, so are her hands. Also thought she would miss the built in flash, for quick shots. So why do you 7500 haters, dislike it? Thanks

Have you looked at the D5600 for her?
As a D7200 owner, I don't care for the D5600. I REALLY miss the 2nd control dial, cuz I use both dials. But , if she does not use M mode, she may not miss the 2nd control dial. And the viewfinder info display is not as visible as the D7200.
But the D5600 is smaller and lighter, and for some, size and weight makes a difference.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back