Anyone ever do a cross country Robert Frank 'Americans' type of trip?

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How did it work out for you?

I've done a few cross country drives. But they have always been under pressure and not a minute to screw around. I can't imagine staying in a town for half a day or more to look around and shoot. With me I prefer to shoot people. So that takes more time than pulling over to shoot a landscape.

What workled for you and didn't work on your cross country photo journey?

If you have not taken one as yet, what do you have planned for such a trip?

Thanks

I recently made a drive from Portland, Oregon to the rural little town of Poyntelle, Pennsylvania. I started on May 27, and got to my destination on June 19.

There were a ton of places I stopped; places I never thought I'd ever see. Sometimes I shot with my 5D, other times I just used my G12.

A cross-country drive is something I think everyone should do, photographer or not. There's a bunch of stuff to see out there...

I recently made a drive from Portland, Oregon to the rural little town of Poyntelle, Pennsylvania. I started on May 27, and got to my destination on June 19.

There were a ton of places I stopped; places I never thought I'd ever see. Sometimes I shot with my 5D, other times I just used my G12.

A cross-country drive is something I think everyone should do, photographer or not. There's a bunch of stuff to see out there...

That is a nice long, long crossing. Would you make any changes with that trip that would have benefited your photography?

Did you have it all mapped out or was it just drive?

I have driven from coast to coast more times than I can conveniently count. I used to be a truck driver before I developed a heart condition. I've got oodles of pics that I took with old 35mm cameras. I really need to get my scanner out and spend a couple hours digitizing them. Some of my favorites were taken from behind the wheel while moving using cheap disposable cameras.

Steve, I couldn't agree more.

That is a nice long, long crossing. Would you make any changes with that trip that would have benefited your photography?

Changes? Hmmm... I dunno'. It would be easy, now, to say "I should've gone here" or "I should've stopped there". The reality, though, is that there aren't enough days on the calendar to see everything. Given the time I had, and the route I was taking, I think I got in a good deal of shooting...

Changes? Hmmm... I dunno'. It would be easy, now, to say "I should've gone here" or "I should've stopped there". The reality, though, is that there aren't enough days on the calendar to see everything. Given the time I had, and the route I was taking, I think I got in a good deal of shooting...

No, I dodn't mean that. I mean a way of travel that would have made things easier for shooting / productivity.

But as far as places. How did you decide on a route?

If you kept track of the $, what did the entire trip run you?

This always interested me to do this but could never find anyone that would do it with me (photographer friend that is). I wouldn't want to take anyone else because they don't realize sometimes the prep work it takes to take some photographs and I end up rushing them then and don't get what I was looking for. A cross country road trip is an awesome idea though. I have been across the country to many places camping before and there really is so much beauty out there to shoot. Even if you aren't a landscape photographer you will still find plenty to shoot.

As far as knowing where to stop just hop in your car and see where the road takes you. You will always find stuff to shoot everywhere.

My wife recently mentioned that she'd like to go on a journey through Germany. The place she gets her car serviced rents motorhomes and if this comes off, I'll be in seventh heaven!

This always interested me to do this but could never find anyone that would do it with me (photographer friend that is). I wouldn't want to take anyone else because they don't realize sometimes the prep work it takes to take some photographs and I end up rushing them then and don't get what I was looking for. A cross country road trip is an awesome idea though. I have been across the country to many places camping before and there really is so much beauty out there to shoot. Even if you aren't a landscape photographer you will still find plenty to shoot.

As far as knowing where to stop just hop in your car and see where the road takes you. You will always find stuff to shoot everywhere.

You would have to have both of the same style to get along. I am a street photog. I don't want to sit around waiting for the light to change for a landscape shot.

Personally, I don't like shooting with other photogs. I don't want a 2nd street photog making my footprint that much bigger or distracting me from shooting.

Yes, what a wonderful luxury of 'seeing where the road takes you.'

I'm planning on a road trip around the UK probably for next summer, if I can get the funds together. I've barely been out of the county in the 20-odd years I've lived here.

My wife recently mentioned that she'd like to go on a journey through Germany. The place she gets her car serviced rents motorhomes and if this comes off, I'll be in seventh heaven!

Only trouble with Germany is you can get across Germany in the day easily (by Motorbike) but Germany is a great place

You would have to have both of the same style to get along. I am a street photog. I don't want to sit around waiting for the light to change for a landscape shot.

Personally, I don't like shooting with other photogs. I don't want a 2nd street photog making my footprint that much bigger or distracting me from shooting.

Yes, what a wonderful luxury of 'seeing where the road takes you.'

It's not so much that I wait for perfect lighting or anything. But I hate being rushed when taking some pictures of landscapes. I like taking pictures with other people. But I know what you are saying. I can't just go out with anyone. Me and my brother take pictures together.

Well, it's not a Robert Franks trip, but I am fortunate to travel the USA in a motor home! When the '07 economy tanked in Fl., we sold it all and thought we'll travel for 5 yrs, then everything will go back to normal, and go back to work.
Sooooo, 6 yrs later, we have seen many wondrous things in this country! Yes, DO IT!
we still see places that time has forgotten, that are 100 miles from a Walmart or McD, but the stars and solitude makes up for it all!

just get/rent a little camper to sleep in and enjoy!
Nancy

No, I dodn't mean that. I mean a way of travel that would have made things easier for shooting / productivity.

Meh, I don't know. I don't think so. I was driving cross country, over more than three weeks, by myself. For my money, as a photographer, that's tough to beat...

But as far as places. How did you decide on a route?

Well, it was mildly dictated by my starting point (Portland, Oregon) and my ending point (Poyntelle, Pennsylvania). In between, I knew there were places I wanted to visit, but I also allowed for those unplanned side trips. For instance, I was willing to drive hours out of my way to see Devil's Tower, but I'd not given Little Big Horn even a cursory thought. Come to find out Little Big Horn is only about a half mile off of I-90. I ended up spending about three hours there, and it was something I'd literally not even thought about until I saw the sign for it...

If you kept track of the $, what did the entire trip run you?

I kept track of gas money, but I've yet to add it all up. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of a grand or so (I was driving a '99 Explorer), but I'm just not certain...

Well, it's not a Robert Franks trip, but I am fortunate to travel the USA in a motor home! When the '07 economy tanked in Fl., we sold it all and thought we'll travel for 5 yrs, then everything will go back to normal, and go back to work.
Sooooo, 6 yrs later, we have seen many wondrous things in this country! Yes, DO IT!
we still see places that time has forgotten, that are 100 miles from a Walmart or McD, but the stars and solitude makes up for it all!

just get/rent a little camper to sleep in and enjoy!
Nancy

WOW! That is one helluva road trip!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back