Anyone going to photograph the 'Blood Moon'?

Are you going to photography the 'Blood Moon'?

• Total voters

footballfan993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylerwarnecke.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I'm sure most of you know, Sunday September 27th there is going to be a lunar eclipse in which the moon will turn a red hue in color, which is dubbed as a 'Blood Moon'.

I just wanted to see if anyone was planning on taking photographs of the blood moon? I'm going to try to do it, and see what kind of results I can get.

I'd like to know if you are going to photograph it, and what tips you have.

I am gonna give it a go. Not expecting miracles....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nah. It's going to start below the horizon for me, and pretty much be over by the time the moon gets high enough into the sky for decent imaging.

Besidses, I did the last one.

BloodMoonPost-1.jpg

I'll have it from 8° to 40° so if the weather permits I'll take a shot or two. Right now have rain forecast for Sunday.

Looks like it could be pretty foul weather here in the Mid-Atlantic. Time will tell.............

I'm gonna give it a shot, but moon rise here coincides almost exactly with sundown and by the time the moon is above the horizon it will be in full eclipse. Not sure what that will look like at twilight.

I'm in central Wisconsin, I haven't really looked at the forcast all that much, but it looks like it is suppose to be good weather. I'm kind of hoping that it will be!

It's been a rainy weekend in Atlanta...We will see if the sky clears up.

I will be trying these tips out since I've never tried this before.
Bloodmoon Tips | Olympus

Last edited:
Last edited:
My astronomy club will have three observing sights across the area. We've invited the public to an area at one of our regular observing spots and I'll be there. I plan to image the event if the weather cooperates. I'm not sure if it will be entirely clear but I should have some usable skies.

I'm gonna give it a shot, but moon rise here coincides almost exactly with sundown and by the time the moon is above the horizon it will be in full eclipse. Not sure what that will look like at twilight.
This will give you an idea of what the moon will look like from where you are at various stages of the eclipse.
Lunar Eclipses
Anyone else can use that same web site to get times/elevations for a city near them.

At maximum eclipse the moon will only be about 8° above your horizon.
At the end of totality the moon will be about 14° above your horizon. About 20:15 PM and 13° above the horizon would be about as good a position of the Moon for making total eclipse photos that you would get.
But, 13° is pretty low in the sky.

I was out practicing last night with my smaller 80 mm refractor telescope:
But it was cloudy
092515_0121Edit_1.jpg

Reactions: ak_
I talked to my supervisor at work, about getting access to the roof of a 3 story building, he said that he doesn't know if they door is locked, and said that I should go at my own risk, I still haven't decided yet if I want to do it, because I don't want to risk my job. I'll have to think it over before I decide what to do.

For those looking for tips on how to shoot the moon, here's a link: Shoot the Supermoon Eclipse like a Pro

I did shoot a couple of photos of the moon tonight at about 7:10pm CST from the ground, I haven't been able to upload them yet, or view them on anything but my camera LCD.

So, this is Boars Tusk and I'm going to try to photograph it here. But after reading KmH's post, I'm wondering if it will be high enough.

If you have a smartphone you may be able to get an "inclinometer" app. It uses you phone camera to let you sight a distant object (such as the horizon) and reports the angle. This would tell you if the moon will be able to clear the horizon from your location.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back