Anyone have a hi-rez image of a Nikon?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm designing my business logo, and I'd like to start with an image of a Nikon DSLR (preferably a D80, but I'm not too picky). I need a sharp 300 ppi photo that I can mess with a bit in Photoshop to make it unique, then incorporate it into my logo.

I know I could just snap a shot of my own Nikon, but I only have the one body.

So...long shot...does anyone have a hi-rez image like this that I might be able to use?

Thanks a lot,

Jon

Well at least your asking, but I doubt anyone is going to give you a good photo for free, especially one to be used for commercial purposes. Have you checked some of the stock photography sites? They usually have a plethora of images for decent prices.

I don't mind paying for it - should have made that clear in my post.

I don't know why I didn't think of checking stock photo sites; thanks.

Jon

sounds like a good reason to go check out a second body to me.

OK, I see some nice images at istockphoto.

I need, for the printing of my logo, an image resolution of 300ppi. Istock offers different sizes, for example:

Medium - 1698 x 1131 491 kb
Large - 2716 x 1810 1.1 Mb

...and so on.

How do I translate these sizes into ppi?

Thanks,

Jon

OK, I see on the site how to translate the image size...but they are stating the image size as 72 or 300 DPI. From what I've read (here), DPI refers to printed work, not the size of the electronic image. Am I correct that they are confused?

DPI or PPI is pixels per inch.

If your image is 900X600 and 300 PPI, it's 3 inches by 2 inches in size. You can scale that down to 72 DPI and your image size will increase just a little or 3X.

that's the jist of it anyway.

You'd better ask Nikon if you can use a high res image of their product before doing that... a couple years ago, Canon sent a very ominous letter to an acquaintance of mine for doing just that.

Besides, I think that is a really bad business move to base your logo on someone else's product. Who are you trying to advertise, Nikon... or yourself? ;)

Let me make a fast example... I am a person that wants your services... I look at your logo... see an OUTDATED camera as your company logo, that would definitely turn me away and want to look for someone else. Another example... one day you decide to change brands and move to Canon... oops, now all your cards and everything is completely wrong!

First, at least have a pro design your logo and make it unique to YOU, and not someone else's product. In business, you are selling yourself and your branding should be entirely about you and nothing else. Look at *any* of the hundreds of wildly successful photography businesses out there. ;)

Another very simple yet perfect example of the fact that opening a successful photography company has very little to do with pressing a shutter! :)

Last edited:
You're right, Jerry.

I bought a nice (non-brand-specific) image from istock, messed with it in Photoshop, incorporated my company name, and I'm totally satisfied with it. Cost: eighteen bucks.

Jon

FYI, I have a little budding web/graphic design company and we offer web site design, logo design, etc. We did my web site and logo (link below).

You're right, Jerry.

I bought a nice (non-brand-specific) image from istock, messed with it in Photoshop, incorporated my company name, and I'm totally satisfied with it. Cost: eighteen bucks.

Jon
Jon,

Just a heads up.

You didn't buy the copyrights, just a use license. Does the use license you purchased allow you to 'mess with it in Photoshop'?

You might want to double check before you commit to your logo.

Just sayin........

Thanks, Keith; I didn't realize that. I guess I could use it 'straight up'; all I did was convert it to B&W, then invert the colors, so it wouldn't really look all that different.

Depending on the wording, a usage license might exclude you from doing anything to the photo, particularly inverting it like that.

manaheim: You mean the company Impression Engineering offers logo design? Because if so, I will probably want to look you up in future.

manaheim: You mean the company Impression Engineering offers logo design? Because if so, I will probably want to look you up in future.

Yes... it's actually not IE, but rather another small company that I am a part of... and that small company did my site and logo. IE is a photography service for that company. How confusing is that? :)

It all actually makes sense when you think it through, but anyway, the long and the short of it is "a company that I am affiliated with does logo and branding and site design." :)

Thanks, Keith; I didn't realize that. I guess I could use it 'straight up'; all I did was convert it to B&W, then invert the colors, so it wouldn't really look all that different.

Here's the link to istockphoto's Content License Agreement and other legal stuff.

Most reactions

Back