Anyone here HATE ilford??

carolineruth12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, i must rant. I shot a roll of Ilford ISO 400 a few days ago, then i went in the darkroom to process. Mine came out purple. One of my friend's came out completely blank. Most of the other people in the darkroom using Ilford had varying degrees of mistakes.
This happen to anyone else?

I'm 100% confident that you're doing something wrong in development. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the film itself.

It sounds like a bad batch of chemicals if everyone in the darkroom was having problems like you describe (or perhaps they weren't using the right times for the film, but for a different film).

One of the largest problems with gang darkrooms is using the premixed chemicals. You never know who mixed it, how it was mixed, whats in the bottle, did someone pour fixer in the stop, or in the developer bottle by mistake.

In most cases, the dark purple cast is lack of proper fixing. As for the other problems:
a combination of bad chemicals and user failure.

is this a beginners class?
It sounds as if folks are having what we all have experienced, learning bin errors.

talk with your instructor, show them the problems; they should be able to sort this out for you rather quickly.

yup, sounds like a beginner class or something . . . like someone mis-read some labels.

also though, i've had rolls come out slightly purple, and just fixed it a little longer, problem solved.

I LOVE ILFORD FP4

...One of my friend's came out completely blank....
Another beginner error is that the film may not have been exposed at all...in some older cameras it is possible to check that the film is winding on by noticing if the rewind lever is rotating when the film is advanced after each picture. If the tongue of the roll wasn´t properly inserted in the slot of the take-up spool, then your friend went on shooting and didn´t notice...

(I did this once on a magazine job years ago...with no chance of a re-shoot, but thank God I took several "insurance" shots on my Olympus XA. The editor never noticed!
...and I learned to check!)

If purple, as Mike says you can re-fix - preferably with fresh chemicals.

If purple, as Mike says you can re-fix - preferably with fresh chemicals.

Also it's really easy to test fixer before you use it, with a piece of unexposed film. Fresh rapid fixers will completely clear the film in around 2 minutes, as the test will show. I generally allow 4 minutes in the developing tank, just to be absolutely sure.

As for Ilford, their quality control is second to none and although any manufacturer can have occasional problems with the odd batch of film, it is very uncommon with those guys. Head over to the APUG forum and search for the thread on the Ilford factory tour for an account of how they operate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back