Anyone know any butchers?

Cut up a Chicken breast or chicken tenders into little pieces about 1 inch. Put a sheet of plastic wrap over them on a cutting board to stop splatting. Get a heavy metal kitchen mallet and let out some frustraition on them until they are paper thin and mashing apart on the cutting board. ( You can put a piece of foil down on the cutting board to make the mashed chicken easier to clean off afterwards. Easy Peasy........oh and Cheese Wiz sucks.....American cheese is the only cheese for cheesesteaks although, in a bind, Provolone can be an acceptable stand in

You can also try to get a really coarsely ground chicken or ask the butcher to grind it coarse for you. If you cook that long enough and keep mashing it down into the frying pan, it will crisp up like the chicken cheesesteaks you get at restaurants. You just need some oil since Chicken doesn't have a lot of its own fat to cook in. Thats all the restaurants use. Processed chicken that has been mashed into a sheet. Just like the "Steak Ems" but chicken.

You mean Erose is also building her own Inner Circle on facebook!?!!??!

I feel betrayed!

You can ADD me you silly man. www.facebook.com/emilyrosemcgonigle

But if anyone else utilizes that, you're probably going to need to send me a message telling me who you are, or I'll send you one asking because I don't know everyone's real name here. :lmao:

I have a great brine recipe if you need one.

I'm always up for a good recipe for when I'm feeling ambitious and want more than Bird's Eye Skillet Pasta! :lol:

Oh no you don't. After all that you have to tell us how you made it!

So I went to the store and got boneless chicken breasts, stuck 'em in the freezer and went out with Keith for a while. When I came home they were PRETTY solid (so I know for next time they freeze faster than I thought they would, so I won't leave them in the freezer as long. :lol:) So I defrosted them ever so slightly... just enough that the top didn't feel like the surface of Antarctica anymore, but it was still frozen.

I sliced them into a little less than 1/4 inch pieces because I was afraid to cut them down any thinner... I've never made chicken that thin before :lol: And then I cut THOSE pieces in half. Keith's sandwich was first, so this is his in the making:

11%2B-%2B1

Obviously the pieces are still too big, and once I realized they weren't shrinking down as *drastically* as I thought they would, we chopped those up a little more while they were in the pan so by the end they were smaller.

I'm getting ahead of myself though.

I used 4 Table Spoons of oil for the pan and then added the chicken. I used Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, a spanish seasoning called Adobo (which has both Garlic and onion amongst other stuff, but the boy REALLY likes his garlic and onion, as you will see... :lol: ), salt, red onions (only because that's what we had left over), a CLOVE of garlic, scallions (the scallions and mashed up clove of garlic got added after this picture was taken) aaaaaaand, I think that was it.

So we continued to cook that until the chicken browned, and then we put the stove on low head and lined the chicken up across the pan. We put 4 slices of cheese down and let it melt over the chicken. Once the cheese was melted he scooped out the chicken and threw it on a bun (and some on his plate... we made A LOT. :lol: )

11%2B-%2B1

I stole a piece of chicken out of his pan, thinking I was going to hate it after that massive amount of garlic and onion powder he had me add to it, but to my surprise it was actually pretty damn good, so I threw out my original idea of just Salt, pepper, and Adobo and did something similar to mine.

For mine I added Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Adobo, Salt, Pepper, and twice the amount of scallions Keith had, because I don't like regular onions on my cheese steaks, but I FREAKIN' LOVE SCALLIONS. I eat that shiz raw as I'm chopping it. :lol: I also chopped my chicken in half again while it was still raw on the plate while Keith's chicken was cooking, once I realized I could cut it up smaller.

It can be cut up smaller *still* I learned, so the next time I make it, I'm mutilating that b*tch! :lmao:

11%2B-%2B1

Then when it came time for the cheese, I added 4 slices, let them melt, and then mixed the meat up in the pan to try and coat more pieces of chicken... and then added two more slices of cheese... let melt... mix meat... add to Steak Rolls.

11%2B-%2B1

It was actually much better than I thought it was gonna be!

My only critique to myself about it, is that the chicken still needed to be smaller, and it would have been better if the cheese were "saucier", so I have to figure out how to make that happen.

But when it *does*... I will be taking *real* pictures, because some girls at another forum I'm on want to know how I made it... so I'll be measuring stuff out, and timing things so I can write out an actual recipe. :sillysmi:

My only critique to myself about it, is that the chicken still needed to be smaller, and it would have been better if the cheese were "saucier", so I have to figure out how to make that happen.
:sillysmi:

What kind of cheese did you use?

:sillysmi:

What kind of cheese did you use?

OH yeah... duh... I even tried to remind myself that I was forgetting to put that into the post and to do it before I submitted it. :lol:

Provolone... 'cause I love provolone. :lol:

That's why it wasn't saucey. Cheeses have certain characteristics when they melt. Provolone gets gummy like mozzarella. American tends to get a little more liquid. That's why it works well with cheesesteaks. You can try half provolone and half american to get the provolone flaver but less of texture. Most people think pizzas usually have Mozzarella, but most places mix several types of cheese, not only for flavor, but for texture. You don't want too stringy of a pizza cheese. ( although some places do like a traditional straight mozzarella )

Darn it this thread is making me hungry now!

and I don't have chicken bits or cheese or suchlikes --- gah I need to get myself a sandwich-toaster!

That's why it wasn't saucey. Cheeses have certain characteristics when they melt. Provolone gets gummy like mozzarella. American tends to get a little more liquid. That's why it works well with cheesesteaks. You can try half provolone and half american to get the provolone flaver but less of texture. Most people think pizzas usually have Mozzarella, but most places mix several types of cheese, not only for flavor, but for texture. You don't want too stringy of a pizza cheese. ( although some places do like a traditional straight mozzarella )

Yeah, someone else had mentioned American melting better somewhere else, but it was after I had already made them last night, haha. If I go out today again, I'll pick up a small amount of American and see how that does, haha.

Most reactions

Back