Anyone know where I can find the Fabric and sticks at.

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to make this soft box but I just can't seem to find out where to get the sticks and the fabric. I tried my local Home Depot and no luck. Thanks in advance!

Fabric: Try JoAnne Fabrics, Fabric Hut, etc. Los Angeles has more than 50 fabric stores, I would estimate. You want white rip-stop nylon fabric. Not sure what kind of sticks you want: solid fiberglass rods would be okay. If you have an existing speed ring, then the diameter and depth of the holes will determine the diameter and size of the ferrules that will be inserted into the speed ring. Ferrules are available at fishing rod building shops, which is my next suggestion--a custom rod builder could help you with ferrules that will fit, and they need to be reasonably loose-fitting where they go in to the speed ring--the flexion of the rods and the weight of the softbox will ensure that the ferrules stay in the speed ring. Low-cost, solid-core fiberglass ( which is actually a trademarked name which is properly spelled Fibreglas, BTW) fishing rod sections would make ideal rods, simply ideal.

How about this:

Get it in black -58'' Wide 100% Cotton Muslin Natural Fabric By The Yard

Wood Dowels 1/8 x 36" (45)

62'' Wide Nylon Rip Stop White Fabric By The Yard

You likely won't find sticks and fabric at the same store. But you can check at crafts stores like Michaels.

You'll also need black cloth to make the body of the softbox, and as Derrel alludes to (speedring), some way to mount your light inside the softbox .

Have you considered getting something like a Softlighter II? - Photek 36" Softlighter, Diffusing Umbrella with Black Cover.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back