What's new

Anyone still shooting with a Pentax K7?

RScottie130 44

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
334
Reaction score
428
Location
Kentucky!
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am wanting to get a Pentax DSLR and found a decent K7.

I have two manual Pentax Lenses I can use on it, a 50mm F2 and a 135mm F2.8.

I also found a nice 50-200 for a decent price that I would likely get.

I am wondering what y'alls opinion of this camera is and whether or not it is a viable option in 2025.
 
I've been Pentax since 1970, probable won't change now. The K7 is a little long in tooth, and short on MP. For not much more you can find a K3ii which is still a reliable body. I kept mine as a 2nd body backup, and use it frequently.
 
I've been Pentax since 1970, probable won't change now. The K7 is a little long in tooth, and short on MP. For not much more you can find a K3ii which is still a reliable body. I kept mine as a 2nd body backup, and use it frequently.

Do you have the same opinion of the K5? It and the K7 are almost being given away.
 
Do you have the same opinion of the K5? It and the K7 are almost being given away.
And why do you think that is? The K5 is a year newer and 16.3 mp, which is a better choice, still it's old tech.
 
And why do you think that is? The K5 is a year newer and 16.3 mp, which is a better choice, still it's old tech.

Which is why I posted the thread, to find out what was thought of these older, but definitely cheaper models.

Basically to find out if they were still a viable option that would take decent pictures for now.

There are a few 24 mp camera's that I am also looking at, the K3, K3 ii, KF and KP. All four of them seem to be decent options. They are not nearly as cheap as the K7 and K5 but that is not a deal breaker.
 
Basically to find out if they were still a viable option that would take decent pictures for now.
It depends. I still have an early P&S Canon Power shot, think its around 4 mp. At the time of purchase I thought it had great IQ. 25 years later I realize how limited it was compared to today. Rarely carry it now, because my cell phone blows it out of the water. So to answer your question, where are you in your journey....just starting, little experience or more advanced, what are your future plans and what's your budget?
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a K7, K5 etc. I have a K5ii which is still only 16mp but that is more than enough for anyone unless you are a professional photographer who may want more megapixels but too be honest, most people really don't need more. If you want to shoot wildlife then yes the newer K3iii would be better because of it's much improved AF but for general photography a K7 or K5 is great. Here are some of my latest photos with my K5ii
FramedIMGP7525-ForestFloor-HeavensGate-Warminster-Wiltshire.webp
FramedIMGP7519-PineForest-HeavensGate-Warminster-Wiltshire.webp
FramedIMGP7514-ForestPath-HeavensGate-Warminster-Wiltshire.webp
FramedIMGP7508-LongleatHouse-HeavensGate-Warminster-Wiltshire.webp
FramedIMGP7507-PaulNorrisSculptures-HeavensGate-Warminster-Wiltshire.webp
 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a K7, K5 etc. I have a K5ii which is still only 16mp but that is more than enough for anyone unless you are a professional photographer who may want more megapixels but too be honest, most people really don't need more. If you want to shoot wildlife then yes the newer K3iii would be better because of it's much improved AF but for general photography a K7 or K5 is great. Here are some of my latest photos with my K5iiView attachment 292987View attachment 292988View attachment 292989View attachment 292990View attachment 292991

I am finding very good buys on used K3 and K3 ii models, many in very good shape and low shutter numbers.

From the specifications, I think either of those models would be everything I need for now.

Very nice shots BTW!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom