Anyone use Diamond files?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever worked with diamond files. I've got a couple and they are great tools, but the soft plastic/metal that I'm working with clogs them up ever so fast - especially since I'm using a 600 and 900 grit file.

At present I can clean them by rubbing them over a regular rubber (for erasing pencil marks); but its messy and takes a while to clean out the file.

So I'm wondering if any here know any tricks for keeping the file from clogging up to start with, or any more efficient ways to clean them. Sadly google hasn't been much help (though I did at least find the rubber cleaning method and the 900 grit file from there)

This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever worked with diamond files. I've got a couple and they are great tools, but the soft plastic/metal that I'm working with clogs them up ever so fast - especially since I'm using a 600 and 900 grit file.

At present I can clean them by rubbing them over a regular rubber (for erasing pencil marks); but its messy and takes a while to clean out the file.

So I'm wondering if any here know any tricks for keeping the file from clogging up to start with, or any more efficient ways to clean them. Sadly google hasn't been much help (though I did at least find the rubber cleaning method and the 900 grit file from there)

Maybe something like denatured alcohol (or whatever you call 190 proof alcohol that's been dickered with so people don't try to drink it)? It'd rinse/irrigate and evaporate pretty quickly used in a squirt bottle or something.

What exactly are you using them for?

I use various types of diamond round/shaped files and diamond flat files at various higher grit levels on sax/clarinet mouthpieces (hard rubber, metal) and other things.

I use old toothbrushes to keep them clean and clog free. Brush with the pattern, and very short strokes .. kinda like brushing your teeth the right way.

Jon that might work - White spirits do tend to clean most things off.

Derrel those would work for a regular toothed file as you go with the grooves on the file teeth and basically scrape them out. Diamond files have no such surface and are closer to sandpaper in how they have a general all round rough cutting surface.

Astro - miniature models. Mostly cleaning pewter and plastic. I'm not sure how you mean brush with the pattern when the file has no patterning on its surface, its just a flat uniform cutting surface.

I've never tried it with diamond riffles, but when I'm using a regular fine file on something like aluminum or other soft alloys, a dusting of chalk or graphite on the file can really reduce the amount of material that sticks. You might also try a wire wheel on a Dremel type tool as an alternative to the file card.

I agree with @petrochemist , save the diamond files for HARD metals, and use a simple needle file for softer metals.
BTW, nail buffing sticks/pads work well for some of this kind of stuff. And they are cheap. But then they are also meant to be disposable.
I clean my diamond files and nail buffing sticks by just wiping it with a rag.

I clean my #600 wet/dry sandpaper by rinsing under water. But then it isn't "clogged" either.

The one place that I found a diamond nail file works, where a small modelers file won't is on delrin. That plastic is so smooth the normal modelers files won't bite.

Most reactions

Back