I have a 105 Defocus Control,and have a number of snaps taken with it on my pBase pages. It's a pretty nice lens in terms of overall image quality. It resists flare and ghosting better than the 85/1.4 when shooting right toward the sun-it is in my opinion, one of the absolute best tele lenses when shooting toward bright light sources. It focuses quite well,and has very lovely bokeh. I do not use the defocus control very often. The 105 D.C. lens has a very nice rendering of human skin--it does not have the uber sharpness and super-rich, saturated color rendition of the "new Nikkors" like the 105 VR Micro-Nikkor or the 200 VR--it's a lens that was designed for its pictorial qualities. It's a very fine lens for manual focusing as well as AF use. I think the defocus aspect is overrated; there are two ways to use the DC Control. One way gives a more-OOF backdrop, the other way gives an in-camera soft focus effect similar to a soft focus filter like a Zeiss Softar.