Anyone used a Canon T3i

IanThePotato

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking at DSLRs and wondering if anyone has used a Canon T3i. I am thinking of getting one. Can you tell me some advantages and disadvantages? Also leave some other cameras below. I am using it for both Photos and Video

I borrowed one last summer for a yellowstone trip. Captured some great images.

The 'kit' 18-55 seemed fine for what it was. Had a longer zoom too.

You'll find the high ISO (lower light) performance of the comparable nikons to be better, but I found it to be an entirely competent and likable camera.

It's a couple of generations out of date, so should be pretty cost-effective.

Canon has sold 10's of thousands, and 10's of thousands of T3i's.
It's a very capable camera, if the photographer understands how to use it effectively.

I am looking at DSLRs and wondering if anyone has used a Canon T3i. I am thinking of getting one. Can you tell me some advantages and disadvantages? Also leave some other cameras below. I am using it for both Photos and Video

advantages - better "IQ" image quality and "value", selection of lens, etc.
disadvantages - 18 megapixels
but maybe 18 MP is good !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

T3i is an ok camera but sadly compared to other cameras in its price range its lacking behind.
Canon T3i is using an very old sensor that was developed about 6 years ago.
Low light performance is not impressive and so is the dynamic range.

For about same value you can get the Nikon D3300 which has better low light performance and better dynamic range.
It also gives you more resolution and it got rid of the low pass filter so potentially you can get sharper images.
Basically the D3300 is better then the T3i almost in every way.

Can the T3i produce good images ?
Of course but for the money I think the Nikon D3300 is a much better buy.

If you look at this DXO comparison of these 2 cameras you will see what I am talking about

Nikon D3300 vs Canon EOS Rebel T3i, EOS 600D | DxOMark

The T3i was the camera that I started on. Used it for about 2.5 years until I understood that I needed to upgrade.

To me, it was good camera for me to learn on. Congrats on getting the T3i.

I'm a Canon girl and the T#i series cameras are capable and great for beginners BUT I have to agree with Goodguy--- for the $$ Nikon has a leg up in that class of camera. I shot with a T2i for several years and got some great images but the high ISO handling was severely limiting in a lot of situations.

T3i is a bit old now and has been discontinued. Better off looking at the SL1 or T5i which are the newer models.

No matter what camera you pick there are better and not as good models. The t3i is a fine camera. Sure there are better but go on to Flickr and look for a t3i group and you'll see that it is very capable

T3i is a bit old now and has been discontinued. Better off looking at the SL1 or T5i which are the newer models.
Actually both the T5i and SL1 share same sensor as foes the T3i so when looking at dynamic range and low light performance these will give about the same results as the T3i.
If someone wants to get a good modern Rebel line camera then the only one that has more or less comparable performance to other cameras in its class is the T6i and T6S, these are cameras that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone that wants to buy a Canon and a modern capable camera.

T3i is a fine camera to start with. It should be quite affordable since it is a older camera. However, if you think photography is all about sensor, please just get a Nikon. Do not even think about getting Canon.

Actually both the T5i and SL1 share same sensor as foes the T3i so when looking at dynamic range and low light performance these will give about the same results as the T3i.
If someone wants to get a good modern Rebel line camera then the only one that has more or less comparable performance to other cameras in its class is the T6i and T6S, these are cameras that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone that wants to buy a Canon and a modern capable camera.

But the t5i in particular has more cross point focus points, digic 5 and therefore a higher expandable ISO, slight improvement in fps, a bigger jpeg buffer, touchscreen and a faster startup time. So still a few differences that are worth considering.

So many other things to think about when purchasing a camera. I am yet to be convinced that one thing trumps other things for everybody.
Lenses, menu, ergonomics, cost, weight, feel, access to borrow lenses, primary use, day, night, low light, good light, portrait, wildlife, streetlife :aiwebs_016:, crop, ff, cost of lenses for each, hand size, finger size, (you mentioned video) etc. etc.

Do as Jaomul suggests and look at photos produced by the camera and certain lenses. If you are nutty like most of us, any camera you get you may outgrow at some point. There will ALWAYS, be something better around the corner.

If you are nutty like most of us, any camera you get you may outgrow at some point. There will ALWAYS, be something better around the corner.

This is a true statement. Let me add, that if you stay around here long enough, you WILL BE NUTTY like most and will HAVE to upgrade or get new equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back