anyone worked for kits/ritz/wolf/boaters world?

hazzayoungn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I applied to one of their stores, and they're looking to fill a few positions here and there. The guy that interviewed me initially alluded that I should have a pretty good shot at the job given my knowledge of cameras, but didn't mention anything specifically (since hes not the main hire-er).

Thus, the question.

Experiences from their internet shop put aside, has anyone worked for them, and how did you like it? Is there anything I should know about the company I can't find online?

I've done retail, and I don't mind finnicky customers, but company owned stores and franchises scare me a little bit.

Regardless, stories of customer service nightmares, slave driving bosses, and haunted stores are much appreciated. Stories of good customer service, great bosses, and un-haunted stores are welcomed as well.

Well, I have not worked for any of the above, but given the people that work in the store near me, if you know what a camera is, you most likely will be ready for a regional manager's position. :mrgreen:

Good luck.

haha, thanks. maybe thats why his eyes lit up when i said "aperture." :mrgreen:

anyone else?

As long as he didn't say "God bless" after you said aperture. :lmao:

yeah, i work for ritz. i have managed one of their stores for 5 years, and have done photo retail for 10. run. run fast and don't look back. what starts out as a part time job through college ends up being a 10 year waste. the only benefit of working at ritz is the discount on pics and the fact you can buy direct from nikon. the management sucks, the customers suck, the hours suck and the company sucks. if it were not for the fact that they pay management so well, i'd have left years ago....and trust me, i am looking. (and unless you are in a high volume store, you will only make $7.50 an hour)

save your sanity... get a job at mcdonalds.

sorry to be so intense, but i just finished my 4th 12 hour shift in a row. got another tomorrow. no over time.... gets me a little grouchy.

......runs off to drink more.....

holy bajeezus...

ok. so the kinda subtle hints that guy was dropping kinda make sense now

how he said the majority of pay is commission based...and familiarly enough...how many of the people were working part time through college

you mind telling me more? honestly, i had my hopes a bit high on this one, seeing as i thought it would be a summer job i like for once, and if its truly a sketch company, i want to make sure all those delusions are wrecked =[

if it is just for a summer job, go for it, if you hate it don't go back. the people are great, it is just that some of the business decisions are all for the business and none for the people. for example, we are forced to run on minimum staff which leaves little room for training, lunch breaks and getting off on time.

you work mainly on commission. if you work in a busy store, great. if you work in a slow one, not so great. i am in baltimore so management may be different in Seattle, but the company agenda is still the same.

if you catch on quick, like working in a fast paced environment, don't mind skipping lunch and hate having weekends off, go for it. if you like to pee more than once a day, eat before 5, and like seeing your family, run quickly.

hope that helps.

ok, i completely catch what youre saying now

hmm...i like my weekends, and family, and eating...ill figure something out if they call

thanks

You can always work for a week and then give your 2-weeks' notice if it's unbearable. There should be that clause in the contract that says you can quit at any time. And read the contract carefully, taking note of what they're required to do in terms of breaks, overtime, shift length, etc.

please do not work for a week and then give 2 weeks notice. take the info i have given you and decide if you want to give it a try for the summer. it is not my fault that the job sucks, i do the best i can with what i have to work with.

it really sucks when i hire someone, which means i don't hire someone else, and they quit a week later. now the other person i may have hired has another job, i have waisted 3 weeks training someone and still have no help in my store.

there is a lot to learn at this job. camera knowledge is the least of it. it takes at least 4 weeks to get someone trained enough for me to schedule them on the floor as a scheduled worker and not as a trainee. i have to train on the registers, ringing procedures, mini lab, paperwork, sales technique and camera info. when i am investing time and energy into training someone on these things, it takes that time away from other associates, customers, and other work i need to do.

i have only had it happen 3 times in the 5 years i have been at ritz. other managers have it more often. i think it happens less to me because i am upfront on the interview. i tell you, it is fast paced, there is minimal one on one training, and we often work through lunch. if i tell someone that and he still accepts the job, i expect him to work a reasonable length of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back