Sony RANT!!!

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Warning! Little long!

Just need to rant and vent real quick!

So I've invested a crap ton of time and money into my photography (as we all have). I have a Nikon D4 which I absolutely love, but here comes my rant!

You need a stupid stinking flipping flopping XQD Card.

I've invested all this money into multipleeeeeeeeee CF cards and have dozens, and now I can't use two at the same time but I am forced into buying a new card that cost an arm and a leg.

I know I know, I shouldn't of gotten the D4 if I didn't want to deal with this. I know. Its not that big of a deal, but its still annoying.

Anyways, I broke down and finally ordered a Sony XQD S Series 32gb card. If you know anything about this, you'd know its roughly a $200 card! Holy poop!

After months of shooting with this card, never had one problem until right in the middle of a softball shoot I get a Memory Card Error flashing on my D4. (Wonderful right).

So I quickly panicked to myself thinking what am I going to do. So I quickly troubleshoot my camera, turned it off, popped the card slot, took the card out, put it back in. Boom, everything is back to normal, no harm.

Awesome! So I finished the shoot and got home unloaded all the photos, nothing was corrupted.

I did everything I could to replicate the error, nothing.

Two days later I had another softball team shoot. Wouldn't you know it right before I did the team photo, "Memory Card Error". Quickly troubleshooted again.

Now I'm livid. Thinking to myself one of these days I'm going to lose all my photos or something.

So I call B&H up, since thats where I got the card from. They said that there is a 5year warranty on my card but I need to deal with Sony direct, fine not a problem.

So after being transferred 3 times, and explaining my situation three times to people who I can barely understand.

Sony requires you to send the card back to them on YOUR dime, and they said it takes anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.

I tried being nice to the lady and explaining the situation where I have two weddings coming up next week and can't limit myself to one card and she said her hands were tied and there is nothing she can do.

Now I'm getting pissed.

I spent $200 on a card.

I'm being treated like its my fault its saying error.

The guy on the phone didn't even know what a Nikon D4 was and I had to keep explaining to him what kind of camera I had.

They tried feeding me some bull**** line that its because I'm not using a Sony camera and its a compatibility issue.

I demanded to talk to the supervisor and she refused to transfer me and kept repeating herself and avoiding the subject.

I finally get someone who is supposedly 'in charge' and they couldn't send me a new card first until I send the old one back and they have to "test it" to prove its not my fault the card is acting up and if so they would have to charge me for a new card.

I then demanded to speak to his boss, and he fed me some bogus line of his boss does't take phone calls, doesn't have an email address, and only has a first name. So there was zero way I can contact anyone with "real authority".

Why am I so mad?
I didn't go to some Joe Blow store and buy a $10 sd card. These XQD and sony are suppose to be the latest and greatest in the tech industry.

Any other company I deal with sends a replacement and a return label and you send back the damage.

Example.
I have a macbook pro. I had my power plug go bad on me. Not a problem under warranty. They sent me a brand new one, free of charge and a return label. All I had to do was send back my old one and if they found out it wasn't 'damaged' I would be charge. Not a problem.

Why won't I just send them my old card so they'll replace it?

Its the principal behind customer service. The customer is always right even if they are wrong. You don't tell the customer its their fault the card doesn't work. You don't refuse to get your manager. You don't make your customer pay for shipping when its a faulty product.

I will never buy another Sony card again.

I called BH back and explained what happened and they laughed at my story (I wasn't mad anymore, I was joking with the guy). And the guy said there was nothing he could do but highly recommended another card company in the future because he hears a lot of bad complaints about Sony.

Sorry for venting. If your still with me, thanks for sticking around. Am I over reacting or should I expect better service for a $200 memory card?

Last edited:
Ugh I feel your pain. Proprietary formats should be made illegal if you ask me. I could show you my drawer at work that is filled with single use cables, cards and adapters. One of my biggest pet peeves.

I understand the point if that format, at the time it was the fastest format.

Funny thing is, I'm not even sure Sony makes a camera that handles XQD - I know the D4 will, and I think Olympus has one that will as well - but the only one I know of that Sony makes that supports it is like a monster high end digital video camera that costs like 5 or 6 grand. As far as still cameras I don't think any of the Sony's support XQD - Even their A99 - pretty much Sony's top of the line full frame doesn't support XQD as I recall.

Funny thing is, I'm not even sure Sony makes a camera that handles XQD - I know the D4 will, and I think Olympus has one that will as well - but the only one I know of that Sony makes that supports it is like a monster high end digital video camera that costs like 5 or 6 grand. As far as still cameras I don't think any of the Sony's support XQD - Even their A99 - pretty much Sony's top of the line full frame doesn't support XQD as I recall.

It's more for video cams. Most of their new 4k handicams take that format.

Sony is great at coming out with proprietary formats that are soon eclipsed by other cheaper formats. Beta, minidiscs and some other oddball stopgaps.

Odds are is you will start seeing dslrs with onboard storage.

It's more for video cams. Most of their new 4k handicams take that format.

Sony is great at coming out with proprietary formats that are soon eclipsed by other cheaper formats. Beta, minidiscs and some other oddball stopgaps.

Odds are is you will start seeing dslrs with onboard storage.

I just thought it was funny that the Sony rep recommended that he buy a sony camera for it - but sony really doesn't make a camera for it. It's one of those irony things that I get hung up on now and again.

I just thought it was funny that the Sony rep recommended that he buy a sony camera for it - but sony really doesn't make a camera for it. It's one of those irony things that I get hung up on now and again.

Well he probably was talking about a video camera.

This is exactly why I haven't bought a D4; a $6500 body with (IMO) unproven memory card technology? Especially Sony unproven memory card technology? No. Thank. You. I'm sure some here remember the joy that was (is) the Sony Memory Stick? Yeahhhh....

This is exactly why I haven't bought a D4; a $6500 body with (IMO) unproven memory card technology? Especially Sony unproven memory card technology? No. Thank. You. I'm sure some here remember the joy that was (is) the Sony Memory Stick? Yeahhhh....

Lol yeah, I don't understand sony sometimes.

But they do have lots of winners. Bluray, Walkmans, play station and CDs spring to mind.

Lol yeah, I don't understand sony sometimes.

But they do have lots of winners. Bluray, Walkmans, play station and CDs spring to mind.
Absolutely, they have some great products, but the stinkers they've produced tend to eclipse their successes. If they'd stop worrying about quite so proprietary....

Why do you only have one card?

Absolutely, they have some great products, but the stinkers they've produced tend to eclipse their successes. If they'd stop worrying about quite so proprietary....

Don't even get me started on sony codecs...

Don't even get me started on sony codecs...
Ohhh...Sony codecs.......do tell. What in the world could be wrong with Sony codecs???:)

Inquiring minds want to know?????

Ohhh...Sony codecs.......do tell. What in the world could be wrong with Sony codecs???:) Inquiring minds want to know?????

Back in the early days, and still to an extent, every camera maker had their own codec. It was such a pain to get them all to place nice in editing and player software.

It's better now but boy did it suck to have a client drop off some random file from some random camera. Spent half the day just looking for codecs.

Back in the early days, and still to an extent, every camera maker had their own codec. It was such a pain to get them all to place nice in editing and player software. It's better now but boy did it suck to have a client drop off some random file from some random camera. Spent half the day just looking for codecs.

Editing Sony's proprietary codec taken off of their proprietary MemoryStick. Lol

Most reactions

Back