Macbooks have pretty crappy resolution for editing photos, slow processors (the adequately fast ones cost an arm and a leg), small 5400 RPM hard drives, and the newer unibody models are prone to overheating if you try and do anything useful with them because Steve Jobs has a fetish for no ventilation and silent (and therefore useless) fans. They look pretty, but there's little substance to justify their outrageous cost.
When I was buying a new laptop last year, I was shopping for one that was specifically designed for multimedia use like photo/video editing. After months of researching, I finally settled on the Dell Studio XPS 1640, and could not be more happy with the purchase. Here are just a few of the features that are directly related to photo editing:
2.8 Ghz Intel processor
500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
1 GB ATI Radeon 4670 GPU
4 GB RAM
widescreen 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED display
2 year full warranty
All that (plus tons of other stuff for other uses) for about $1600... No Mac laptop has anything to compare to that, and if they did the price would be astronomical. This computer is a beast; it's specifically made to do photo editing. The screen is phenomenal - the colors are crisp and vivid (
this test only took me a few minutes on this computer and I got a perfect score), and the high resolution allows you to look at larger photos without any problems. This display will truely allow you to make the most of your photos. And because of the fast processor and good graphics card, I can edit basically as many RAW images as I want simultaneously. I got this computer last year, and I'm still very impressed with it, but they have added some useful options since then, like the Intel Core i7 Quad Core CPU, basically the best processor you can get in a laptop.
Despite what some of you may be thinking, I'm not some kind of a Dell fanatic - in fact, before I got this computer I had a pretty negative opinion of the company because their lower-end laptops are, put frankly, pretty crappy. The XPS is their premium/professional line, though, and the built quality and reliability are excellent. I'm not a brand whore, I just think that this is the best piece of portable machinery you can get for editing photos.
Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop Details | Dell