aperture help

Read the "Shutterspeed Aperture and ISO" tutorial in my signature.

Light only travels at one speed, that being the speed of light or approximately 186,000 miles a second.

Actually the speed of light varies based on the medium it's travelling through. If it didn't, lenses wouldn't work, the light would go straight through without getting focused.

Lenses change the angle that the light travels allowing it to be focused.

Refractive index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually the speed of light varies based on the medium it's travelling through. If it didn't, lenses wouldn't work, the light would go straight through without getting focused.

Lenses change the angle that the light travels allowing it to be focused.

Refractive index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And let us apply this to the premise state by MReid: "2.8 big hole lets light in fast...so short depth of field and high shutter speed...hand hold
22 small hole lets light in slow....so deep depth of field and slow shutter speed....tripod"

The aperture has nothing to do with the physics of refractive index in determining the "speed" that the light reaches the shutter. The light travels through the glass elements not the blades that determie aperture. Whether the aperture is at f1.2 or f32 the light is still traveling the same speed through the glass. The aperture blades restict the amount of light reaching the sensor, not change the speed of that light.

Now as to your statement: Actually the speed of light varies based on the medium it's travelling through. If it didn't, lenses wouldn't work, the light would go straight through without getting focused.

Lens (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

well jwbryson1 thanks for that .. didnt think of doing that simple task !!! lol................. at the end of the day i THOUGHT that as this is a FRIENDLY forum people would give help and explain it better than what one might get from google. regards a noobs !!

well jwbryson1 thanks for that .. didnt think of doing that simple task !!! lol................. at the end of the day i THOUGHT that as this is a FRIENDLY forum people would give help and explain it better than what one might get from google. regards a noobs !!

And the point of responding to a dead thread two weeks later just to whine accomplishes what exactly? Are we looking for drama?

LOL, well you really are up yourself arent you, not wasting MY TIME on here again !!

LOL, well you really are up yourself arent you, not wasting MY TIME on here again !!

I'm not "up myself enough" to bump my own dead posts just to start drama.
BOOHOO...please don't leave. I miss you already. BOOHOO!

Most reactions

Back