Aperture impact on light picture

patav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good day, I wanted to take these pictures in order to get some feed back on some of my questions ( I have a Canon 40d with a 50mm 1.8):

1- I would of expected to have picture # 1 looking like picture # 2 in normal mode...why is the camera putting the aperture to 5

2- I would expected to have picture # 1 looking like picture # 2 when having big aperture due to the fact that depth of field would be close.

Let me know what you think...and how I should interpret this. Any links would be appreciated. regards

Picture 1:Mode: Normal ; Speed: 1/320 ; f5 ; FL: 50 mm ; ISO: 500 ; Exposure: Normal
IMG_9922_640x427.JPG

Picture 2:Mode: Manual ; Speed: 1/400; f1.8 ; FL: 50 mm ; ISO: 500 ; Exposure: Normal

IMG_9923_640x427.JPG

They're different because f1.8 is more than a full stop faster than f5, whereas 1/400 is not more than a full stop faster than 1/320. In fact, it's less than half a stop faster. Therefore, it's no wonder more light was let in and #2 came out brighter. That's very screwy.

I agree but why would the "auto" mode set the f stop to 5.

regards

Number 1 was shot in program mode, ie autoexposure. The lights are affecting the exposure - the metering system tries to set an exposure that would suit a middle grey scene. Number 2 was taken in full manual mode, with just over two stops more exposure (as Max says, -2/3 stop because of the shutter speed difference, +3 stops because of the aperture difference)*.

Number 2 has less depth of field than number 1, because of the wider aperture.

*You can also calculate this using the TV and AV data in the EXIF.
For Number 1 TV + AV = 8.38 + 4.63 = 13.01
For Number 2 TV + AV = 8.63 + 1.63 = 10.26
Difference = 2.75 stops (there are mismatches between the exact TV, AV, shutter speed and aperture numbers, probably because of rounding)

Best,
Helen

Thank you very much for all your help.

Most reactions

Back